Checking on my Aeonium

sugi_c(9a)May 14, 2013

I've never had this one before, primarily because I never liked the look of it until this year, but since buying it in January as a small thing, it's become one of my favorite plants.

But now, it's producing a lot of rosettes (although I thought it was supposed to be a winter growing plant). This is good. What I am unsure about is the leaves curling up. A quick google search tells me this is too much heat/sun, but I find this hard to believe as our weather has been rather mild for this time of year, if not outright cold -- 70 high, 53-55 low.

It otherwise looks healthy to me and continues to grow but I wanted to check with you guys to make sure it's not telling me too much water, too little water, too much sun or too little, etc.

Right now, it gets full sun probably from 9:30-1:30 at best, facing south on a balcony. It's the only succulent that is in 5:1:1, as I was told it likes moisture unlike its peers, but I really don't water it more than once a week, give or take a couple days.

Here's smother view:

Grace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Ooo, it looks BEE-OO-TIFUL!!

Mine are still growing, flowering...yours is good. As for leaves curling up...when they go dormant, the rosettes ball up. Is that what you mean, or leaves that are curling because they are drying up? That would also be normal.

Looks like you are taking the BEST care of them, Grace!

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 5:52PM
sugi_c(9a)

Rosemarie --

Thanks! I was referring to the leaves on the top half curling upwards -- balling up, like you said, or cupping, I guess. I wasn't worried until I happened to Google "aeonium leaves curling up" and then read it was because of too much sun/heat -- which seemed unlikely, if not impossible at this time for any succulent plant due to the heat not having even started here yet. Cold, maybe -- but too hot in 68 degree weather would mean certain death for this plant come summer lol.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. Whew! So it's beginning to go dormant, I take it, which falls in line with it growing in cooler weather.

I want to see this flower one day! I was told, and saw online, that it shoots out a massive flower branch. Very funky and cool, haha.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:40PM

Yes, the bloom will be something like this, albeit maybe not so large.

On the right in this pic below, you can see one that has started to ball up.

Here is one working on it =)

This post was edited by rosemariero on Tue, May 14, 13 at 19:08

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:05PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Beautiful, beautiful. Aeonium leaves will curl a bit, but that's normal, for me, with some increased light in springtime, and right now their curling is not to the degree that I would associate with them going into dormancy with hot summer heat. Rosemarie has shown you just how they ball up for summer. Yours are gorgeous and look perfect for this time of year, I think. Was it labeled as a certain hybrid?

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, May 14, 13 at 19:15

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:14PM
sugi_c(9a)

Rosemarie, those are beautiful! What IS that mostly green with red tinged leaves in the first photo? I want one now! Your plants are stunning!! I've also been wanting a Zwartkopf? I just haven't found one the right size -- all either too big or too tiny so far. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Teatree, thank you! I feel silly now, not having known they are supposed to curl, lol. I have an aeonium 'Kiwi' and it doesn't grow like this! I believe this one was labeled 'Garnet'. The more it grows, the more I am liking its style and form. It's so not temperamental, either. The more I grow succulents, even my cute little cactus, the more I realize I should just never buy another gardenia again, haha.

Grace

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:24PM

Found another one! =)

Now going back to read. BRB

Grace, I don't know for certain which Catlin hybrid that is...yet! (I was thinking maybe 'Voodoo' or 'Cyclops', but I haven't found anyone who has documented the changes-in pix- through the year. All ones I bought were mislabeled. I'm thinking yours was too, but can't be sure. I had 'Garnet' before, but lost it. I'll go back & find a pic. It's possible yours is what mine would've looked like had it lived! :P

Okay, found pix where it morphed into diff looks, so yours could be as it was tagged. :P
'Zwartkin' top, 'Garnet' on bottom.

This post was edited by rosemariero on Tue, May 14, 13 at 19:43

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:28PM

Oh, 'Garnet'! I wondered. It's really pretty; that's a hybrid I would absolutely love to get. The soft color is beautiful. And I for one am happy you asked the question because that allowed us to see your plant. And yes, my 'Kiwi' doesn't curl, either; that's one that, in my experience, really doesn't do that much.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:30PM

I have found that any of the thicker-leaved varieties do not ball up for winter dormancy (or not so noticeable). But then, I live where the temps are mild most of the year, plants can be put in the ground & some really don't go dormant if I keep watering them.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:00PM
cactusmcharris

The gathering tightness is almost as much fun as flowers!

RoRo, so there is no Aeonium 'Caitlin's Hybrid'? I had already known that a Mr. Caitlin did a lot of crossing of many genera, but the one I got two years ago was tagged 'Caitlin's Hybrid', which I kind of suspected was a made-up-for-nursery-trade name with no real proof.

I'll get pics of the dwindling circles today.

Sugi and Ro, great pictures!

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:34PM

Jeff,
First, I must say that it is a Catlin hybrid. Jack Catlin was the one hybridizing. In the early days, all Aeonium I bought said "Caitlin's hybrid" on the tags. You had to figure out which of the half dozen or so he made that was yours (I'm aware of 7 he made in the early days). I think the name stuck ("Caitlin's Hybrid"), got passed on the tags-no one bothered to change them (hence, "Caitlin" is found all over the web). So, you surmised correctly, me thinks!

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 3:26PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Everybody stop showing the gorgeous aeoniums befor i die of jealousley

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 4:25PM
cactusmcharris

RoRo, thanks for the history lesson - you might be happy to know that that tradition's continuing up here. I would have bought this regardless (had a Groupon) of the name.

Here's A. balsamiferum going to nap.

And an unknown curvy thing

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 4:26PM

Beautimous, Jeff! Love the curvy thing! =)

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:01PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Gosh you guy, gorgeous all!!

Not too easy to grow here in NYC, but I recently found an all green one locally ( I THINK it's an Aeonium), I couldn't resist, don't have pix loaded yet, but you are all so inspiring!

Jeff, such a handsome group, are you growing those indoors w/ full sun?

RoRo, yours too a great looking group (as they all are). Your last addition of that very rounded one looks so cool.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:54PM

Three real beauties. Jeff. The first beloved hybrid has really gone to town, as has A. balsamiferum (didn't realize it was that large!). Unknown curvy thing I don't specifically remember like the other two, and you would think I would considering I've been enraged for a couple years over no one over here selling A. undulatum, one of the greatest sights on Earth.

This post was edited by teatree on Wed, May 15, 13 at 18:08

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:03PM
sugi_c(9a)

I love looking at all these photos! Ugh, makes me want MORE!

Rosemarie: can't say accurately with the flash on but the coloring on mine looks more like your Zwartkin, I think, no?

I think, if ever I go back to a house, I will do a big succulent garden and edibles.
And flowers.
And foliage.

LOL

Grace

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 3:23PM
kathi_mdgd

roro,
do you have to wait for all the flowers to die on that yellow flowered one in the first picture,before you cut that stalk off,or better yet,should I cut that stalk off??? TIA
Kathi

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:27PM

I wait till they are all dead, Kathi, but you can cut it off whenever you tire of it. :)

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:47PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Luscious and succulent plants!
I can't see a thing wrong with any of them :-)

Josh

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:58PM
hexalm

Looks better than any of my Aeonia :)

Of course, I did recently desperately hack one of them up for fear of infestation, and managed to knock off a bunch of new rosettes right as it went dormant :S

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:09AM
Enterotoxigenic00

Cactus, what beautiful plants. All the plants pictured are beautiful. Everyone takes wonderful care of their plants.
I recently acquired several cuttings from my father's wife. I only hope that I can have the cuttings root and look as great as those posted.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Cactus ID help
Can anyone ID this? 2 year old plant. Popped up in...
jmichigan
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Need advice on watering succulents with new soil
This post got no hits in the 'Soil' section. I am...
breathnez
Any ideas on what this is?
Hi everyone!! I just acquired this, I'm thinking thinking...
LilBit7765
Euphorbia Cristata Dying - HELP
OMG - I've had this plant for 5-6 years. I grew it...
Jenny Marsden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™