Easter cactus help please

prayerrock(zone 5)May 30, 2009

I got these easter cactus cuttings in a trade recently and they are shriveling up pretty bad and the buds have mostly dropped off. They seemed to be doing well when I first got them but they are not rooting well. I am afraid they will die. The leaves are now pretty thin and shrivelly.

Can some one help me please to know what to do to try to save these cuttings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayne(z5 OH)

I'm not an expert, but when I happen to knock off some leaf segments, I just put them into some soil and wait. Yes, they will look awful, and start to shrivel. They should root fairly quickly, and when they do you'll know. The cuttings should re-plump. I read your other post, and that sucks. I have never traded here, but I do have LOTS of succulents. If these die on you, maybe I can try to replace them?

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 1:32PM
prayerrock(zone 5)

Thank you for responding to my post its good to know that they are looking as they should. So far now 1 white and 2 of the red have tiny roots starting to grow so I am getting more hopeful. I didt know they shriveled up so bad before they root. Thank you for your kindness.

Mary

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 1:49PM
avondale

You can easily save these cuttings if you follow these simple rules. First, moisten the bottom of the cutting. 2. Dip the bottom of the cutting in a rooting powder. 3. Allow cutting to sit for twenty-four hours so the bottom will callus. 4. Pot cutting in a cactus potting soil 5. Do not water cutting, however mist everyday for four weeks. After week four, water but allow to dry slightly between waterings. I've been following this procedure for over thirty years for my Easter, Christmas, and Orchid cactus. I haven't lost a cutting yet and I give many "new" plants to friends. I currently have twelve cuttings outside, in the shade that I started last week. I gow all of mine outside on a porch that receives filtered early morning sun. I hope this helps you. The only time my plants come inside are when temps go down to freezing, which thankfully isn't very often.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 5:59PM
prayerrock(zone 5)

Thank you very much I will try this!

Mary

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
New to growing cactus, leaf withering?
Hi all! I bought this mini cactus plant last Wednesday,...
s_tomato
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
Succulent Growing Roots From Stem
Not sure what I should do with my plant! It has been...
chelseaw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™