Today's visitors and help with an ID?

monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))August 19, 2011

Cabbage whites are back and not really caring about the nasturtiums I grew for them!

Common Buckeye? Have seen a couple in the yard, they are really interested in my grass, patio steps, and the driveway. Also the marigolds...

Some kind of Duskywing (this is almost as frustrating to figure out as the skippers are!)

Sparkles in the sun...must be a Twilight fan...

Cheers!

-Sandy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I think they're Horace's duskywings, Sandy, but they could be juvenal's. :/
I have a lot of trouble IDing them myself, so if there's somebody out there good at duskywings, here are two I made pictures of in my garden - I think this is a male Horaces's -

And I think this is a female Horace's -

Whatever they are, they're common here, and they usually show up in the evening. Maybe that's why they're called duskywings?
Sherry

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 5:18PM
bananasinohio(6OH)

I can't see if there is a spot at the end of the cell like in Juvenal's or Horace's. However, the pale spots on the marginal band of the hindwing makes me think Wild Indigo Dusky wing. However, I will defer to our other better skipper identifiers.

If you have Baptisia (False Indigo) or crown vetch nearby, Wild Indigo Duskywing is a real possibility. They are quite common if the plants are around and are in-flight here in good numbers.
-Elisabeth

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 8:55PM
monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))

Well since I'm awake in the middle of the night, I've been looking at pictures of duskywings for the past hour and I think my brain is going to shut down! Everything I've read indicates that these 3, Wild Indigo, Horace's, and Juvenal's, are "virtually indistinguishable" from one another. Sigh...

I haven't seen any false indigo or crown vetch, but have heard that the crown vetch is considered an invasive species here in NJ so it is a possiblility!

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 4:01AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

The only way I know if it is a WID, is if it's hovering around the BaptisiS minor in the yard. LOL!

Skippers are entirely frustrating to ID, whether it's a spreadwing or not. The only one I know for sure is the Common Checkered Skipper, and that's only because it is the only one of the Checkered's I see around here, and the only one in our range.

Susan

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 7:50AM
More Discussions
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™