rudbeckia I.D. help

wendy2shoesSeptember 29, 2006

Is this a "Maxima" (about 5 foot tall) or a goldstrum? any help most appreciated.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wendyhiltemann/album?.dir=/b144re2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

It's hard to tell without a closer pic of the flower. 'Goldsturm' can get pretty tall in the right conditions, but it's usually more like 3' than 5'.

With R. maxima, the petals are more reflexed, and the black cone is quite tall. With R. fulgida 'Goldsturm' the cone is much shorter. The leaves are also different, but the flower is a dead giveaway.

BP

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 7:29PM
wendy2shoes

Sorry about the picture..park maintenance man was right behind me. I think it is a goldstrum, fed a lot and raised in a greenhouse before getting planted out. The blooms are quite small, and the 'cones' aren't tall. Thanks for the help Bonnie, I think you've nailed it (again).

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 10:08PM
sharont(z5 can)

Thanks for posting about this rudbeckia. It looks like the flowers are doubles??
I had bought seed of Rudbeckia 'Maya' two years ago from Stokes. It was listed as an annual 'gloriosa daisy' with double flower petals. But it has come back again (or self seeded) growing over three feet with it's brown centre & double or layered petals. I have also looked up Rudbeckia lacinata 'Goldquelle' but that one does not show the brown centre.
Gardening Life magazine put a photo and request to identify a rudbeckia species they showed in the past with no name. They were asking for anyone to email them an identification!
The species in my garden is very similar. I am stumped. Wish I could post a photo to compare!!!
sam

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 12:43AM
More Discussions
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?
Hi everyone, Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines...
elbereth
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Best Nurseries to order from?
This is a dangerous time of year...still snow everywhere...
hmacgarden
When do YOU start your veggie seeds indoors?
Hi...I've got my grow light gardening kit assembled,...
Patches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™