WS and vacation, how late can I be away?

oloughma(5a)January 12, 2014

Hello, I plan to try WS this year but I'm also planning a vacation of approx 3 weeks, maybe a bit longer, in the early spring. I just realized that if I'm going to WS I'm going to have to be careful about when I'm away. There will be no one here to care for a mass of seedlings sprouting forth.

So I have a question for the experienced. I know there are no guarantees with weather but in my zone 5a, I'm in Aurora, ON, how late do you think I would be safe to stay away until? Originally I planned to go away sometime between April/May. I'll need to back it off to March, maybe up to the first week of April. What do you think?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

I'm in the same boat. I'm in Toronto and planning a ten-day to two week trip in the second half of April. I can't change it and I've already sown seeds, but my DH will be home so I'll have to content myself with leaving him detailed instructions.

Good luck to you - I hope you get some encouraging responses!

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 10:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I would say to move your containers into deep shade and sit them in water, in a tray or something like that. Make sure they won't get too much rain where they are or they might get too wet.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
When do I start lettuce or Boi Choy outdoor?
Is it too early to start lettuce now?
ada_pun
Wintersowing cannas???
Does anyone do wintersowing of Canna seeds ??? Since...
xaroline
Any newbies? (or 'oldies')
I realize that there is very little activity on this...
greylady_gardener
So what is happening?
Well I have been trying to ignore my seeds and leave...
greylady_gardener
water bottles from water coolers
I was wondering if anybody has tried the new water...
josey44
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™