Will My CHerry Tree Fall?

BWinSFMay 4, 2013

Hi,

I am in East Bay in SF Bay Area and as you can see from my picture, my cherry tree is about 12-15 ft. high and is growing at about a 45 degree angle. I believe it is clay soil that is is growing in.

I have read that they have shallow roots and am concerned it might eventually fall over. Is this a legitimate concern and, if so, is the best way to prevent it is to put a stake up against it to support it (and cut the top branches)?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

A tree growing at such an angle is generally as a result of the light it is receiving. In your picture it is not possible to see what is effecting the light it receives. Al

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:52PM
BWinSF

@ Calistoga- I took the picture standing almost due West of the tree. So during the day the sun travels towards me, almost directly overhead from the tree. The trunk, therefore, grew at almost a due North position while the branches now grow completely vertical, 90 degrees from the ground.

No idea how the trunk got that way as it was like that when we moved in.

Thanks for the reply.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 2:31PM
calistoga_al

Here on the north edge of my woods, I planted a Fremontodendron that grew the same way as a result of the shade to the south. By driving a steel fence post into the ground at an angle to use as an anchor, I was able to use a Come-Along between the tree and the anchor to apply pressure over a couple of years to gradually straighten the stump. I also shortened the tree by one half, to make more of shrub than a tree. It had no trouble breaking out new growth. I am not sure about your cherry tree, but I would not let it continue as it is. Al

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:52AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

So it was like that when you moved in?

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™