What Do I Do Now?

fruit_n_vegetablesMay 29, 2014

I made the mistake of letting a watermelon species that grows to 20 to 25 pounds up on a trellis. What can I do while the fruit is still pea-sized to prevent the vines from breaking? What would happen if I ripped of all the tendrils from the trellis?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

Here's a trick: make a sling out of something that won't stay wet, like a nylon stocking or onion sack; tie the sling to the trellis. The sling will bear the weight of the melon. You don't need to do this until the watermelon is a bit larger.... maybe the size of an orange. This works for anything that will get large. BUT... Is your trellis strong enough to carry the weight?

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 11:11PM
elysianfields(9b CA)

Got access to any old brassieres? A few DubD's outta handle it clipped to a support. No pun intended. And there are no mistakes in gardening. Only lessons to be learned. Take pictures please.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:09AM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

Fields (i am giving you a nickname:) we can always count on you to have fun comments.
also- do you say you are "inpatient' on purpose or are the m and n transposed on your ipad? or are you waiting to become an outpatient? ha! min

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 1:09PM
Ninkasi(6ish Germany)

I had a container watermelon once and trained the vines up a trellis as well. I used a net bag that some fruit came in to keep the fruit held up. Worked great.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™