columbines

wmc1January 9, 2009

Does anybody winter sow columbines, already put some out without thinking, thought I had better check.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

I WS some last year and am looking forward to seeing them bloom this spring. Yours will be fine.
When I finally get my containers and get them ready, I plan to do some more this year.
what ones did you do?
Anyone else sowing columbine?
gg

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 5:52PM
marricgardens

I w/s both columbine caerula and tequila sunrise last winter. Both did well. Neither flowered last year but I hope to get some really nice flowers this year. Marg

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 8:38AM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I've done them in the past as well - most of them have done fine.

Bookmark   January 17, 2009 at 10:17PM
Gwyn(6A, Mississauga)

Done them in the past and they were great

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 12:10PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

I WS'd columbines and got very good germination. However, before they flowered (second year) they were attacked by something and some of them were entirely stripped of all leaves. After scrutnizing them, I realzed there were some little green worms eating them...never did find out what they were. I sprayed them with 10% ammonia and the plants were able to recover and flower but not well. I was told on one forum that they are prone to these kinds of infections so be on the lookout.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 3:56AM
ljpother(3a)

I've had the pleasure of these little worms. If they're not little, it's too late. :( They are called delphinium/columbine/larkspur worms. Follow the link to Jim Hole's Notebook for more information.

Personally, I find encouraging birds works really well for the delphiniums. I check frequently and when I find a rolled up leaf, I squeeze gently until there is a satisfying squish. Columbine is more critical. The little green worms will strip a plant overnight. At the first sign of a ragged leaf edge I check the undersides of ALL my leaves. Just brushing under the leaf will roll the little worms off and you can dispose of them as you wish. Miss one and say good -bye to your leaves.

"Enjoy Gardening"

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Gaillardia
I winter sowed some Gaillardia and they did ok. Now...
brian_ouimet
Has anyone wintersown apples?
Heyo all - I'm looking at growing rootstock from seedlings...
FoothillsOrchard
Nanking cuttings. plant now??
I have read that I can take cuttings from my NanKing...
xcaret
Sprouts in Zone 3
I was shocked yesterday to find sprouts in several...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Any newbies? (or 'oldies')
I realize that there is very little activity on this...
greylady_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™