Hello to anybody out there

aliciahere_zone3aFebruary 22, 2012

Hello! Just joined and thought I would post a hello to anybody out there. I am from just outside of Edmonton, and I don't see a lot of zone 3 people out there! Just moved into a new house last year and this will be my first year planting a garden. I only planted a garden one year in my old house (and it just happened to be 2010 and of course my gorgeous tomato plants got blight). Decided to become ambitious and grow some plants from seeds, I stumbled upon this forum and am I ever happy to have found it. I will now be trying winter sowing. Very excited. Anybody else from Zone 3? What have you been WS? When did you sow your WS pots? Love to hear from anybody! Alicia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

good morning Alicia, and welcome! :) I am afraid this is a very quiet site, but maybe we can get someone from z3 or near there to respond. I am from z6 in Ontario so our gardening experiences will be very different, but we will still share a love or desire for gardening and growing things.
I have gardened for a very long time but discovered winter sowing a few years back. I love it and hope you will too. I love growing my own plants from seed, and not just because they are cheap! lol!
start collecting containers (2L pop bottles, juice jugs, larger water bottles, etc.) and then all you will need is some potting soil and some seeds. Once you have decided what you want to plant you may find someone to trade with or to share seeds with you for a SASBE. I have seeds so may have what you are looking for. :)

If you haven't discovered it already, then I highly recommend the site, wintersown.org. I will post the link below. Tons of info!!

perennials should be out now as many of them will need the freeze thaw cycle to germinate. next will come the hardy annuals, etc.

Wishing you lots of success.

p.s. let me know about the seeds

Lois

Here is a link that might be useful: WS info

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

Hello! I wintersow in zone 3 .
I usually start end of February or into March.
Sometimes April too.

Caroline

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Crazy Ontario Weather
Hi everyone: If you're like me, you are totally frustrated...
northerner_on
Nanking cuttings. plant now??
I have read that I can take cuttings from my NanKing...
xcaret
winter sowing lilac seed
I have a lilac bush that I bought three years ago....
loves_lavendar
water bottles from water coolers
I was wondering if anybody has tried the new water...
josey44
When do I start lettuce or Boi Choy outdoor?
Is it too early to start lettuce now?
ada_pun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™