Where do you put your winter sown containers?

Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)February 7, 2012

I want to try some winter sowing of seeds this year. I'm wondering where is the best place to put the containers when they are ready for outside?

-on the ground in the garden?

-on a bench or picnic table or work bench?

-somewhere with snow cover (if we ever get any this year)?

-in a sunny spot?

or a combination of all or some of the above.

What has worked best for you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

Hey craftygardener! So glad you are going to WS this year. I love it and I hope you will also.
Last year and this year I have elevated my containers. The first couple of years I put them on the ground and although it worked fine, I did a LOT of bending over when I was checking them. A picnic table, covered air conditioner, etc., would be fine.
I have a large bread tray (that you see used in stores), and I have it sitting across the arms of a lawn chair....one of those plastic adirondack styles.
I use 2L bottles, large vinegar jugs, water jugs, ice cream containers, etc. The chair sits under a small tree (an ivory silk lilac) which is planted about 11 or 12 feet from the house. The leaves fill out in the spring and give a bit of shade, but the containers still get some morning sun. Being under the tree, they do need to be watched for drying out when they have sprouted and it is getting warmer, as the leaves prevent the rain from hitting the containers.
Snow cover is good but not totally necessary...it is for moisture....this year we are getting lots of rain so they are moist! :)

I think if the containers were right up against the foundation of the house, they would be kept too warm and would sprout too early.

I group the sprouted containers together so that if we get a frost, it makes it easier to through a cover over them for protection. I have used an old sheet or blanket.

Best to get any perennials out first so they get some freezing and thawing to get the started. Next comes hardy annuals and then lastly the more tender annuals.

I hope you enjoy and have lots of success!! :)

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 5:57PM
Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)

Thanks for your reply.
I've only planted up a couple of pots right now and have them sitting on my workbench. I hope they aren't in too much sun. I used pots with 2L bottles on top. Hopefully I'll get some more done in the next week or so.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 12:44PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I use my workbench as well. They're in full sun there, and as the temperature warms up, i move them around the yard, or sometimes just under the table. Right now, they're nice and snug under the snow. :)

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Liatris
I've already started w/s my perennials, some are already...
marricgardens
water bottles from water coolers
I was wondering if anybody has tried the new water...
josey44
Has anyone wintersown apples?
Heyo all - I'm looking at growing rootstock from seedlings...
FoothillsOrchard
Hello everyone! Doing any sowing?
I've done eight 2 litres, enough for now..will spring...
wendy2shoes
My first attempt
Hello! This is my first year winter sowing, and I'm...
redwolfdoc_z5
Sponsored Products
Fame Beige Wallpaper R1058, double roll
Walls Republic
Micro Grazer Light Channel 7W 24V 85CRI Dry Location
Lightology
Yellow and Ivory 18 x 18 Wool Pillow
$48.00 | Bellacor
Fire Bucket by Menu
$64.95 | Lumens
Rectangle Tanganika Wood Soap Holder
TheBathOutlet