Winter Sowing in Milk Jugs

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)February 20, 2011

First, I'll apologize because I'm sure if I looked and looked some more, I'd find the answer to my questions.

I'm wanting to winter sow for the first time and I've collected 15 milk jugs.

Is it easier in the spring to have cut the milk jugs closer to the middle, or further up, say, half way between the handle? Does it make a difference?

Also, should I be using the lids or not? Trudi says remove the lids, but I'm in Zone 3. I'm going to put the jugs in the middle of a 4 foot snowbank.

I've seen evidence of small rodents in our yard recently, which is not a common occurrence. Are they going to be interested in my winter sowing project?

Thanks for the replies =:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Not much action here.

I guess I'll bump this down.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 9:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerbera

From what I've learned, you should cut the jugs at the middle point so that you have enough room for at least four inches of soil and then lots of space above the soil for the seedlings to get lots of warmth from the greenhousing. I don't think you need worry too much about precision on this. It's likely easiest to cut below the handle, though some people leave the handle bit in tact and don't sever the two parts.

I've left the lids on and will take them off when I begin the hardening off of my plants. As long as there are air holes in your jugs, you needn't worry about it.

I've got lots of bunnies in my yard, and none of them seems interested in my jugs and flats.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
When do I start lettuce or Boi Choy outdoor?
Is it too early to start lettuce now?
ada_pun
winter sowing lilac seed
I have a lilac bush that I bought three years ago....
loves_lavendar
Favourite Suppliers?
Hello All! I'm completely new to winter sowing. I can't...
redwolfdoc_z5
Sprouts in Zone 3
I was shocked yesterday to find sprouts in several...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Wintersowing cannas???
Does anyone do wintersowing of Canna seeds ??? Since...
xaroline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™