OT re: 'Seedy Saturday' at the RBG

wendy2shoesFebruary 19, 2009

Ok..Scottish heritage, and a Dutch husband, so the frugal genes are present and dominant. I can't see paying ten dollars a head for the opportunity to buy heritage seeds (or whatever) from vendors. Smack me down if I'm wrong. Has anyone been to one of these events (at the RBG)? "Royal Botanical Garden".

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeng8(5sw on)

Never been to RBG...but have always wanted to go. My neighbour went a couple of years ago and loved it! They are seniors just starting out in the garden. They bought some tubers called 'wonderful plant' and asked if I knew of them. I didn't...but googled them. Turns out they were 4 o'clocks. They paid quite a bit for the tubers... Odd that they were mislead??? All in all they enjoyed themselves there but didn't go back.

Bookmark   December 2, 0002 at 12:07AM
gardeng8(5sw on)

Never been to RBG...but have always wanted to go. My neighbour went a couple of years ago and loved it! They are seniors just starting out in the garden. They bought some tubers called 'wonderful plant' and asked if I knew of them. I didn't...but googled them. Turns out they were 4 o'clocks. They paid quite a bit for the tubers... Odd that they were mislead??? All in all they enjoyed themselves there but didn't go back.

gardeng8(5sw on)

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Maybe the RBG is charging a fee for their premises. I've been to the ones held here in Ottawa and there is no entrance fee. Not only do we get seed vendors, but there is a seed swap (you put your packets down and pick up ones you wish), and free lectures to help you with your gardening. I remember taking one on growing garlic,complete with handouts and a question&answer period; and there are people selling things made from garden products e.g. cosmetics - I even got some wild salmon once! I don't think I would attend if there was a fee - maybe 5 dollars but ten dollars seems like a lot.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 4:54AM
More Discussions
Echinacea's
Will be planting about 40 containers of different Echinacea...
wmc1
Spring in Ontario
Well, it looks like spring has finally sprung in Ontario....
northerner_on
zinnias
Hi everyone. hope all your sowing is going well. I...
celtic_07
Hello everyone! Doing any sowing?
I've done eight 2 litres, enough for now..will spring...
wendy2shoes
Sprouts in Zone 5
I went out to have a look at my pop bottles yesterday...
northerner_on
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™