Hello Ontario Winter Sowers

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)March 15, 2012

Hello everyone: It's been sometime since I've been on the forums - having trouble with my eyes had had some surgery and am now better. I wonder if anyone has had sprouts this year with this incredibly warm weather we have had.I went out a checked today and there is nothing growing, but my containers are mostly on the deck and get very little sun at this point of the year. I did not plant too much this year. I am thinking of re-doing my back yard and that will take most of the time. I have a few containers of perennials which I hope to plant out in the fall, but I am doing a lot of hot peppers which go in pots, my herbs which will go in the little herb garden, and I hope to hide my tomatoes between the ornamentals elsewhere. So what's everyone else doing?

Northerner

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calicokitty(Ont 3b)

I have Sweet William sprouts! I noticed them on March 21 - the first day of spring.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 8:28AM
greylady_gardener

I have several containers out there and am having great success in some of them. The rest are concerning me as I feel that they are ones that would have come up before the ones that have.

Not just sprouts, but starting to get true leaves in 'wild blue lupines' 'gaillardia Arizona sun' and 'pink fig-leafed hollyhock'. good sprouts in 'blue dragon' and 'red peony poppy'. Very few sprouts in the 'dark purple peony poppy'. Nothing at all showing in the chinese forget me nots, several kinds of petunias, gaillardia mesa yellow, northern sea oats, and a few others. Just hoping for the best with those ones. :)

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:07PM
wmc1

Got all kind of sprouts on my Echinaceas, did over 50 kinds this year, plus a few others

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:10PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

What a disaster!! We had been having such warm temps. that I moved my containers into the sun, gave them a good drench and voila, I had sprouts: a couple of grases, Sweet William, green onions, chives, hair allium, parsley and then the weather turned!! I cannot believe how we went from 25 degrees to below freezing and I was not prepared for it. I went out today and everything is like the first frost except for the Sweet William which is still green. Guess I will have to re-plant. I have never had this experience and now we're expecting snow and even hail tonight. How is everyone faring with this horrible change in the weather. Will these seedlings recover?

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 4:11AM
More Discussions
Favourite Suppliers?
Hello All! I'm completely new to winter sowing. I can't...
redwolfdoc_z5
Sprouts in Zone 3
I was shocked yesterday to find sprouts in several...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Question about WSing vegetables
Hello northerners: I am in Ontario Zone 5A and have...
northerner_on
WS and vacation, how late can I be away?
Hello, I plan to try WS this year but I'm also planning...
oloughma
New echinacea Cheyenne Spirit
We just received our William Dam Seeds catalogue, and...
ontnative
Sponsored Products
Saatchi Chrome One Light Pendant Light
$156.00 | Bellacor
Wall Plate (Real Materials) by Legrand
$29.98 | Lumens
Stella Gold Six Light Chandelier
$700.00 | Bellacor
'Hello Love' Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$9.99 | zulily
Modern Daybed in Gravel
$824.99 | Dot & Bo