Box of Chocolates Datura

karyn1(7a)July 10, 2010

My first BOC dats are blooming. I think it might be 292-3 but can't be sure because I mixed up tags when I transplanted them. The outer skirt is dusted with purple near the edge and the inner skirt and most of the outer skirt are stark white. There appears to be more undeveloped petals in the center of the blooms. It's very pretty with a nice light scent. Sorry no pics but my camera is dead and the kids have theirs with them. I'll try to get one of their cameras when they get home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommysmommy(Colorado)

You know we are clamoring for photos! I love the name - I was expecting to read they are cocoa colored!

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 10:04AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Sound yummy! Can't wait to see pictures.

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 11:36AM
knotz(8/PNW SWWA)

I wanna see too!!!

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 11:49AM
lopaka_mikale(PBG, FL 10A)

you drew me in with the mention of chocolates! does your phone not have a camera?

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 5:43PM
karyn1(7a)

I have no idea how to send a pic from my phone anywhere. I'd have to ask the kids and when they get home I could just use one of their cameras. BOC dats are Jack's hybrids that he offered earlier in the season. A number of us bought seeds so I assume that there should be quite a few of us with blooms by now.

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 6:24PM
marcie_new(z8)

My phone came with a sub? cord, take the pic, with the phone then plug the cord to the comp. and download the pics, to the comp. then attach the pic to the post.I think. well that is how I sometimes do this.Sorry but you blooms sound so beautiful!! can't wait to see your flowers, I have 2 brugs with blooms forming, Marcie

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 6:46PM
blicon1(5bny)

Excellent Karyn!!!
Sounds like you've got one that I haven't had yet. All of the ones so far this year from my test plantings have been very similar to past years flowers. As a matter of fact, many have been very plain and closely resemble regular purple metels with slight variations. I was beginning to think that they may have started to revert. Really glad to read your description. Can't wait for pics!
Regards,
Jack

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 5:54AM
eloise_ca

Wow Karyn, sounds exciting! When are your kids coming back, with the camera :-)

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 8:58AM
karyn1(7a)

Unfortunately the heat got to the blooms already but I have more buds that will open soon and my new camera should be here soon as well.

Jack I'm happy to send you some of the seeds from this variety if you want them. I assume that I'll get pods. I'll know within the next couple days when the flower drops.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 8:44PM
blicon1(5bny)

You are right about that - if you don't get a pic in the morning, they get crummy pretty quickly in this heat. There will be more!
Jack

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 6:04AM
karyn1(7a)

This is a bloom from a different plant but it's very similar to the first two. It's just more of a yellowish color with a bit less sprinkling of purple. it has a nice fragrance.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 9:44PM
threas(z7 PA)

Beautiful, Karyn! Congrats on your Dat blooms!

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 10:05PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Jack, I received the new seeds. I retired in May, and have been gone since June 8th. I will plant them, but the numbers you sent to me, 140-1, 146-7, and 162-3 only one is in the picture, I have no idea what colors they are, I sure hope one has the mauve tones, like the first numbers I received. I will plant them today. I just got home yesterday. I spent 1 week in Florida, and then went to Rockport for 4 weeks. I had to wait and plant them, since I would not be here to water the seeds. Thanks Jack, Barbra

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 1:11PM
eloise_ca

Beautiful Karyn, I like the minimal purple coloring on your dat!

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 10:47AM
karyn1(7a)

I have to post pics from a couple others. They are the whiter blooms. One has more purple and the other about the same amount. It would be nice if there's a mauve tinted one in the bunch. I still have about a dozen more that haven't bloomed.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 4:15PM
blicon1(5bny)

Barbra - I sent replacement seeds that had really good germination rates here. Chances are fairly good that you will get some mauve tones - good luck with these!

Karyn, very nice - my favorites are the yellows and whites that come out with just a little of the purple. Can't wait to see more!

Jack

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 6:05AM
More Discussions
New to brugs
I've not grown brugs before but have admired them for...
Vikki
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
Malted barley Teas
I always end up with extra cuttings so I root them...
rednofl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™