Busted!!!

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)March 17, 2010

Hi everyone: Haven't been on in a while because I am still pressing on with de-cluttering. Twenty-seven years is a l-o-n-g time!! As a result I have been pushing the envelope with my wintersowing and didn't start in earnest until March 4 (which last year was quite reasonable) and would you believe the temperature has shot up, there is no snow on my front lawn for the last two days, and it's above zero even overnight!! So there goes my winter sowing of perennials. I have been keeping my containers on the deck (North) out of the sun hoping I can prolong their 'cold' season. I have never seen such weather in Ottawa. Several of my perennials outside are sprouting: daffodils, tulips, helenium, daylilies, alliums, rhubarb, irises. I hope we have some more cold weather because there are some special perennials that need the cold strat. and I hate to think I have to put them in my fridge. Wendy, to think you have sprouts. So this will be a lesson to me: get all wintersown done by February because you never know when March will throw you a curve ball and be really warm. Happy Gardening, all.

Northerner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

According to our forecast we're about to get another week of cold weather coming up, so we'll send it your way, Northerner. :)

I've been anxiously checking my containers because i don't want them to sprout yet!

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:40AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I've been checking my containers here too, after Wendy said that she had sprouts in Oakville, but so far nothing. Mine are all perennials, so they may be slower to germinate. We've been getting lots of warm weather this week, and I don't want my containers to get too warm.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 8:54AM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Well, this is the year I decided to put my containers in full sun. Usually they are on the north side of the house and they get full sun from 1pm onwards but now they get it from 10am onwards. It may have been the wrong year to do it but we will see. Bachelor buttons and Clarkias have sprouted, maybe more as of yesterday's high of 20c recorded in Halifax, but I'm on the coast about 20 minutes from the city so we are always a bit cooler. Record breaking temps all last week.

We will see how it goes. :O)

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 8:22AM
marricgardens

I have just put out five flats of annuals. I'm thinking maybe I'll try tomatoes this year to. Oh, and I did buy another pkg of dianthus seeds, an annual called Fandangio. Guess they will go out to! I don't have anything sprouted yet but then most of what is out there are perennials. Marg

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Crazy Ontario Weather
Hi everyone: If you're like me, you are totally frustrated...
northerner_on
zinnias
Hi everyone. hope all your sowing is going well. I...
celtic_07
Need to start WS
Years ago at old home I wintersowed and had a wonderful...
Gwyn
Nanking cuttings. plant now??
I have read that I can take cuttings from my NanKing...
xcaret
New echinacea Cheyenne Spirit
We just received our William Dam Seeds catalogue, and...
ontnative
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™