To plan a garden or not to plan a garden??...that is the question

trishthegardenmom(6a)March 20, 2007

Now, please don't penalize me for this question but I must ask. My inquiring mind would like to know...do you plan out your garden? I mean when you buy seeds/plants do you know where they are going or do you just buy the seeds/plants cause you just like the plant, like growing them and then put it wherever it fits and give extras to friends/family etc? Do you think one way is better than the other? Me, well I like the plant and then end up giving the extras to friends and family.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

No planning here Trish. Just plunk and run when planting and then give the excess to family and friends.

The only planning I'm doing this year is planting more for the butterflies. Everything will go wherever there is an empty space in the gardens, and if there are no empty spaces in the flower gardens, then I will use the huge empty space presently known as the 'lawn'. :)

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 7:23AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

I like to plan them according to what their requirements are needed.

I also have a holding bed for young seedlings, and then in a couple of years I transplant them out to the gardens.

I also love to combine colours, orange and blue is a wonderful combo in the garden.

Sharon

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 12:49AM
sue_in_nova_scotia

I don't plan...and constantly rearrange...I am not good at the planning...I plant what I like and move it if it looks wrong. I am now getting more fussy and finding favorites plants and also finding ones that 'don't impress me much'...

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 12:39PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I plan like crazy, then i plant way too many seeds and order way too many plants and have no idea where they can be planted, quick extend a bed so some can be thrown in there, tuck a few in another spot, and give away a whole pile of them. Lots of fun! :)

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 10:04PM
kniceone(z4 ON Canada)

I plan sort of. I have a garden blueprint from 10 yrs. ago. I spent many hours making it. Without this I would not know where anything is. At the end of each season I do a rough "inventory" of everything that has been added and where (roughly) then put it away until January. Then out it comes along with the photos from the garden last season and I plan what I need, wish and want for this year. It's my greatest tool because as the garden matures, my memory fades of what I put last year or 3 years ago. It helps but like others who have spoken before me - if I don't like a look, I change it. In the fall the master blueprint gets changed to reflect what I have done. It sounds tedious and time consuming but each fall it takes about 1 hour to mark the changes on the plan; but it saves hours and hours of work in the spring - because I know where all the holes and nooks are that need a little something.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Nanking cuttings. plant now??
I have read that I can take cuttings from my NanKing...
xcaret
zinnias
Hi everyone. hope all your sowing is going well. I...
celtic_07
Favourite Suppliers?
Hello All! I'm completely new to winter sowing. I can't...
redwolfdoc_z5
New echinacea Cheyenne Spirit
We just received our William Dam Seeds catalogue, and...
ontnative
winter sowing lilac seed
I have a lilac bush that I bought three years ago....
loves_lavendar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™