Butterfly ID Please??

bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)August 27, 2011

My sister shot this guy in her NW GA yard today. ID please? Doesn't look like anything I have had in my yard. Thanks for help.~~Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

My guess is a very tattered male Orange Sulphur or Colias eurytheme. I am basing this on the orange that is visible on the hindwing, the head coloring, the shape of the wings, the black showing through, and the location.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 6:30PM
ladobe

Angie,
Great find, and especially to get a pretty good picture of it. Looks like either an environmentally induced aberrant, or maybe a masaic gynandromorph. If either not much can be trusted beyond a clue. Possibly Phoebis philea, maybe sennae, or even agarithe that strayed up from Florida.
L.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 6:40PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Thanks Sandy and Larry! Was hoping you guys would stop in and see this. I have been helping my sister to plant and manage her 1st butterfly garden this year, and she is really getting some interesting visitors. She had a nice Banded Hairstreak the other day, and I have never seen one in my yard. She is only a 15 min drive down the road. She sent this pic to me hoping for an ID, and I was shocked to be so stumped. The only Sulphurs I get here in my yard are the Sleepy Orange, Cloudless, and an occasional Orange Sulphur.~~Angie

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 6:48PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Any other learned opinions as to the ID???~~Angie

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 1:20PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

It looks like it's probably a very worn little yellow, Angie. They're common in my garden, and they use sennas/cassias as host plants. You can find the cats eating cassia leaves right next to the sleepy oranges, and they're almost impossible to tell apart.
Sherry

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 2:19PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Oh Sherry...thank you soooo much. That helps us a whole lot. I don't see them here in my yard, but my sister seems to be getting in many butterflies that I have never seen in my yard. She's only 15 min down the road. It's amazing how much difference there can be with a change of location and terrain. I did plant some Velvet leaf Senna and some Candlestick Cassia in her garden. :o)

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™