Pics from today and yesterday

hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)June 3, 2012

Hi all,

I've been tearing out daisies and planting agapanthus, and I took some photos while I was trying to decide what goes where. If you want to waste some time, take a look. I think the first photo is pretty.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: June 1 and 2 2012

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomuch2chus

Thanks Renee! Lovely!

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 11:10AM
onederw

Just lovely as always, Renee!
Are your SPed daisies the paludosums that weave in and out of your plantings in the winter and spring, or are they bigger ones??
I just plunked in some more agapanthus myself--a new variety called Baby Pete, which I commend to one and all. Lovely mid-blue. Stays short enough for the front of the border, and doesn't seem to be quite the snail magnet of the others.
A question about iris, if I might. . . . If I put down compost/mulch over the soil, compost eventually breaks down, right?? So, do I have to lift up the rhizomes as I compost, so they don't think they're planted too deep? (A roundabout way of confessing that my iris don't look anywhere near as good as yours, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.)

Kay

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 3:03PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Lovely, lovely. Except for rose foliage, it's been a great spring, hasn't it?

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 7:28PM
eloise_ca

Oooooooh, so beautiful and inviting!

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 11:10PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Kay, it's the paludosums that are finished. I have the big rose bed with all of the paludosums in full sun, and right now it is barren. It looks like large dogs have been digging in it. The shadier bed is in its glory now, though.

You don't have to lift your irises, but you cannot mulch or put compost on top of the rhizomes or they will rot. After three years or so, it's time to divide them anyway, so if they have gotten a bit buried but they have not rotted you can plant them higher again.

My irises look good because I water so much. Some of the other people in the iris society have foliage that is already short and browning, because they don't water in the summer months. I grow so many rebloomers that I have to water if I want flowers. I plant them on little mounds to avoid the mulch and rotting problems. Argentine ants find these perfect spots to raise their young, so I'm always stomping on the soil around my irises.

Hoovb, it's been a great spring, except for the balled roses and the aborted iris buds. Everything else looks stellar, especially the pelargoniums. I got my first two pattypan squash today!

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 11:27PM
Mikey(SoCal-Z10-22/23)

Very nice.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 12:04AM
Sandi_W(7b/8)

I think your gardens are lovely and always enjoy your pictures.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 1:40AM
onederw

Aha! Raised mounds!! The clue I've been waiting for!!! I do water in the summer, but raised mounds will solve the "buried rhizome" phenomenon excellently. I don't envy you your Argentine ants, but it sounds like, um, mechanical control has the situation well in hand. What kind of agapanthus are you planting, Renee?

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:06AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Just gorgeous, Renee!

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 9:54AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Thanks, all. Kay, I got a dozen dwarf white agapanthus- no name. I'll post when they bloom.
Renee

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 2:24AM
melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)

Lush and gorgeous!!!

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:37AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

So lovely, Renee. If you find a 57 woman camped out in your backyard in the corner, well, it's me :-) Very, very beautiful and lush. I feel like I'm looking at a gardening magazine when I see your yard. I was trying to find a glimpse of the dreaded hose, didn't see it in any photos, lol!

Patty S.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 11:24AM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

renee's hose is lying somewhere out of sight, just waiting to make some more trouble!
min

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 7:38PM
SFGuy

Do English schoolgirls chase fairies through your garden? It is just jawdropping.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™