Anyone tried growing cilantro successfully?

homey_birdJune 2, 2011

Hi,

I posted a question regarding this before and got bunch of useful responses: basically, cilantro is much more successful for harvesting leaves in the Bay Area weather, in winter than in summer.

But I came across a Sunset magazine article on how to successfully harvest leaves even in summer and I thought I'd share, and check if people here have any other experiences to share.

Thanks in advance!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Cilantro leaves not flowers - Sunset

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lunita(9)

I'm trying that this year -- well, succession planting coupled with regular harvesting of small leaves. Market growers in Sacramento manage to have it at the farmer's market all summer here, so i know it can be done!

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebirdie(Z8 SF E Bay)

Thanks for the link. I've tried the muslin harvest method outlined, but only with limited success. They still either bolted, or dried up stop producing even with watering. Maybe I'll try cilantro in the pot (in the shade) this year as the article suggested.
But uaully I would be flooded with basil, I only managed to moan for cilantro for two months.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™