What do you direct sow in zones 3 and 4??

pennylee(z3b)March 11, 2007

I saw this posting on the winter sowing forum and was wondering what do gardeners direct sow in zones 3 and 4, if anything. The answers on the other forum mainly deal with the higher zones. Thanks

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Not much, come to think of it. At the moment, the only things i can think of are matthiola (stocks) and gypsophilia (baby's breath). Oh, i direct sowed sweet peas one spring but i haven't done them again. Maybe i'll try this year.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 10:36PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Not that I grow all of these every year, but Sweet Peas, Love-in-a-mist, Marigolds, Sunflowers, Poppies, Bachelor Buttons and Nasturtiums. Some people wintersow them but I haven't so far because they grow satisfactorily from direct sowing.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 9:57AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Calendula

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 3:39AM
sazzyrose(2b Sk)

I have direct sowed Lavatera, Malva and Cosmos.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 1:31PM
prairierose

I direct sow sweet alyssum, bachelor buttons, marigolds, calendula, annual baby's breath, lavatera, cosmos, poppies, evening-scented stock, and sunflowers. I also do some wintersowing with the marigolds, lavatera, and cosmos, and I'm trying sunflowers this year hoping for some earlier blooms.
Connie

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 2:12PM
claubill(z3Sud ONT)

Last year, I had Dames' Rockets, corncockle, and calendulas and I was surprised that they self-seeded and came back on their own this year. This is really a treat because you just don't know where in the yard they are going to pop up from. Now we are going to see if the annual poppies will do the same.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 11:42PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

I'm in Zone 5, but just to keep things going on this forum here's what I direct sow. As far as flowers are concerned I direct sow Lavatera, Calendula, Gomphrena, Nasturtiums, and my climbers like Morning Glory and Cardinal Climber. In the veggie department I direct sow snow peas, pole beans, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, parsley, thyme, cilanro, basil, swiss chard. That's about it.

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
"Is it too late" and other questions
I've been lurking on WS forums for years and haven't...
mamahoohoo
Need to start WS
Years ago at old home I wintersowed and had a wonderful...
Gwyn
Sprouts in Zone 5
I went out to have a look at my pop bottles yesterday...
northerner_on
Crazy Ontario Weather
Hi everyone: If you're like me, you are totally frustrated...
northerner_on
Wintersowing cannas???
Does anyone do wintersowing of Canna seeds ??? Since...
xaroline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™