Sprouts in Zone 5

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)April 20, 2013

I went out to have a look at my pop bottles yesterday and they seemed very dry and I was thinking I'd have to go out and water them today. But we had lots of rain and today I have sprouts (Primrose seeds I collected from a beautiful volunteer ). I was so excited to see things coming to life. This has been a hard and long winter. The grass is greening and it's time to get out and get my hands dirty. Heavenly!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I haven't noticed any sprouts here yet, but must admit I haven't looked closely at my containers. I do think I may have to water some of them. This morning they are all covered with snow. haha

I am still waiting to start my warm-germinating perennial seeds. Maybe I should leave them another week or two.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 9:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

always exciting to see the first signs of green! :-)

The weather has been rough and cold, so I am surprised that I have several bottles of sprouts. I had a couple already but I think that the beautiful day on Thursday with temps in the twenties, really did it. I have snapdragons, cosmos, scarlet gilia, alyssum, Iceland poppies, oriental poppy (royal wedding), hetteropappus(sp?) blue knoll, parsley, amaranthus pygmy torch and I think another one or two that I just can't think of right now. The bottles have been sitting out in the open on the patio table which sits near a huge evergreen (of the neighbour's) and gets sun from early afternoon until early evening (when there is sun :-)), but when I heard that the temp was to go to zero overnight, I did put the sprouted ones in under the patio roof.

We have had so much rain that I find that some of the containers are almost soggy and are starting to get a mossy haze to the soil. I hope that doesn't harm the germination and spoil things! :-) I didn't have great success last year, so I am hoping for better this year.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
My first attempt
Hello! This is my first year winter sowing, and I'm...
redwolfdoc_z5
Nanking cuttings. plant now??
I have read that I can take cuttings from my NanKing...
xcaret
Wintersowing cannas???
Does anyone do wintersowing of Canna seeds ??? Since...
xaroline
winter sowing lilac seed
I have a lilac bush that I bought three years ago....
loves_lavendar
Crazy Ontario Weather
Hi everyone: If you're like me, you are totally frustrated...
northerner_on
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™