Ontario Heat Wave!!

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)April 28, 2009

Wow, I couldn't believe it - 31 degrees today!! I had forgotten about the forecast and didn't get out until afternoon. By that time some of my containers which were in the sun were baked!! Hope they recover. Luckily, the containers which had sprouts were in the shade. I am overwhelmed by the wild violets that have suddenly overtaken my backyard garden. They had taken over a little strip on the west side of the house and over 2 years of digging and collecting and destroying all the seeds I could collect I got rid of them. Now they have moved into the backyard. I was out today picking all the flowers off. At least that's one way of heading them off. But I'll be going at them with a knife to get all the roots off. I certainly don't want them getting into the grass. I also notice wild strawberries and another broad leafed weed making an appearance. So bothersome!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

Hi northerner. Do you want to send me some of that heat wave? We've had cool weather, high winds and lots of rain for the past week. It would be nice to get into the garden but it remains to wet. Things are growing like crazy tho. I heard on the news today that we are in for rain every day or other day for the next week! By the way, I love violets. We are planning to get some and plant them among the trees. Marg

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Question about WSing vegetables
Hello northerners: I am in Ontario Zone 5A and have...
northerner_on
Nanking cuttings. plant now??
I have read that I can take cuttings from my NanKing...
xcaret
water bottles from water coolers
I was wondering if anybody has tried the new water...
josey44
Need to start WS
Years ago at old home I wintersowed and had a wonderful...
Gwyn
New to Winter Sowing but 55 containers
HI, All!! I think I have made newbie mistakes!! I work...
Hailey99
Sponsored Products
Policleto Glass Dining Table
| Italy Design
Plank Bench by Gus Modern
$403.75 | Lumens
Glacier End Table by Gus Modern
$552.50 | Lumens
Ossington Coffee Table by Gus Modern
$760.75 | Lumens
Picture Rail by Gus Modern
$127.50 | Lumens