Promethea cat

terryr(z5a IL)August 11, 2011

Next stage? We found another one that had the leaf rolled, but was out of the leaf and up the stem of the branch about 3"? I thought it was too low, one of my dogs runs under the bush multiple times a day...small dog, just under 10 pounds. Anyway, this has been a blast to watch! There's 2 mostly that have always been around the same area. Bert and Ernie, Lucy and Ricky, Fred and Ethel...my list goes on...lol...! I made a video of this particular one where it appears to be "shaving" down the insides of the leaf...shaving is lack of the correct word on my part!

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ament(5a SD)

That is so neat! I love the picture Terry. :) I think I'm going to take my daughter down the road to the russian olives and see if I can find some monarch cats.

~Tina

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 6:35PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Tina, thank you! It is neat! It's been so fun to watch them go through their different instars and now to see this! I found the one that had left it's leaf...it found another leaf!

Here's what the one above looks like now

and here's the other one, bursting out of his leaf

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 10:42PM
Ament(5a SD)

I just love it! Thank you for sharing them. :) I haven't anything in my yard yet mature enough for the cats to want to come to me. I'm currently getting my yard in shape for it though. Next year will hopefully be a different story. So until then... I get to oogle everyone elses images and wish. LoL

~Tina

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 3:13AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

How interesting, Terry!
As I recall, prometheas have more than one generation each year, so some of yours may emerge this year, but, more than likely, they'll not emerge until next spring.
Prometheas are one of my favorite big moths - they may not be quite as big as the cecropias, but they're still plenty big, and their colors are gorgeous.
I love those hanging cocoons! :)
Sherry

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 11:18AM
terryr(z5a IL)

You're welcome, Tina! I can't wait to see some photos from you next year! It'll happen, just wait! :)

Sherry, this has been a real experience! I've yet to go out when it's dark to see if I can see the moth in all it's glory. Surely they're here, since they've laid eggs 3 times that I've seen!

Here's an interesting note. The one that was bursting out of the cocoon? It appears to have abandoned the cocoon? Is that possible? I did notice yesterday that it didn't have the silk up to the main stem of the branch, like the other did. This morning, I couldn't find the one bursting out anywhere in the vicinity where it was. It was really easy to find, it was right there. Now it isn't. The leaf and all is gone. I know there's more than 2 cats out there, so I don't know if this is the bursting out one or what, however, I found this one this morning, just above the other. Or, maybe I overlooked the one that was bursting out and it's still there, I don't know. I searched and I searched to no avail...I'll look again in a couple hours! The one below, was busy this am making the attached silk from leaf to branch.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 4:42PM
Ament(5a SD)

Oh he's so chubby! :D

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 4:57PM
TomatoWorm59

I love saturniids. They are not only our prettiest of moths, but have the prettiest larvae, too.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 5:08PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Tina! Yeah, they got chubby! LOL My buttonbush is missing a lot of leaves!! ;-)

TomatoWorm...I'm sure partial to these guys! Our neighbors...lol....I'm always at that bush, talking into the bush, looking into the bush..what a sight I must be...lol..:D

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 5:29PM
Ament(5a SD)

LoL That's as bad as me griping at the weeds! Haha!

~Tina

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 2:26AM
bev2009(6 IN)

That is a beautiful cat! My son is outside a lot at night smoking and he sees big moths flying around all the time, but I've never seen any in the yard. I'll have to check out the host plants and see what I can do.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 12:14AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Love your photos and your posts, Terry. Yesterday I saw a very tattered Promethea moth on my neighbors' brick by the front door. I need to do a search of my Buttonbush.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 10:09AM
terryr(z5a IL)

Tina, I do that too! Really, I talk to any and everything....lol..

Bev, go check! This is just too cool. I feel so honored to be able to watch them!

Sandy, you're too kind. Thank you :) Search that buttonbush...this is so fun I can hardly stand it!

I found this guy or gal yesterday...

then I went out a little later, and I found him or her spinning a cocoon! That little devil! What fun to watch!

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
Aristolochia fimbriata seeds for trade
I have a lot (probably 100+) of fresh seed from my...
CrazyPlantLady1
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
A romantic moment
Lots of activity in my garden. We released 7 male Monarchs...
jane__ny
Milkweed germination times and rates
Someone was kind enough to send me all sorts of seeds...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE
I have harvested a ton of seed pods (at least 45 pods!)...
mechelle_m
Sponsored Products
Jovi Home Cats Bath Accessory 4-piece Set
Overstock.com
Adorne Cat 6 RJ45 Data Insert
LBC Lighting
The Cat in the Hat Chef's Hat - Kids
$7.99 | zulily
Outdoor Non-Heated Kitty A-Frame House
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Solid Bronze Friendly Cat Door Knocker
Signature Hardware