What's wrong with my echeveria?

pennyhal(11Sunset23)May 16, 2012

I can't figure out what's wrong with this plant. I got out my magnifying glass. I thought it was mealy bug, but no legs and doesn't crawl. I thought it was white fly, but no wings and doesn't fly. I can't see an insect at all. The black stuff seems to be soot or mold of some sort. I poured soapy water on it today, but I'd sure like to know what I'm dealing with!

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hanzrobo(11)

Looks an awful lot like mealies, Penny. Is your plant maybe a Sempervivum?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 6:16PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry Penny (I agree about Semp), I too think it's mealies.

That's a BAD infestation. I'd throw it out, going to be too difficult to remedy w/out systemic (or return it to point of purchase, tho' how could one prove the mealies are not from one's own collection).

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 6:55PM
marguerite_gw

A thing you could try is find some long grass in a safe place and place the plant there. Go back in a few weeks and the insects will be all gone. Something bigger will get them. I've done this so I know it works.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 7:57PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

I, too, think it's mealy bug (with sooty mold) on your Sempervivum. If you have it (it's cheap), try some rubbing alcohol (50% with H2O) sprayed on it. Wait a few days~repeat!

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 9:17PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Oh silly me! Of course it's a sempervivum. I'm going to have to get out me super duper magnifying glass as I sure did not see the mealies with the one I used.

This is the same plant I had mealies on maybe 7 months ago and used alcohol on them. I thought they were gone. I've removed 4 of the 6 pups and they are fine, but mother plant needs help. I guess I'll have to get out the pesticide and do a soil drench.

Thanks!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:20PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I always repeat spray with the alcohol several times over several days to get any eggs and tiny babies.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 6:12PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

I had looked up the life cycle of the mealies and this plant has been mealy free for many months now, long past any reproductive cycle. So, I can't figure out if somehow the mealies have been hiding out all this time, inactive, or if this is a new infestation. It is suspicious because it is the only plant in my collection that has the problem, and only the mother plant's pot. So that's why I think I need to do a soil drench with a pesticide as whatever I've done so far has been a failure. An annoying garden problem.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
Al's Gritty Mix
Need help finding Bark Fines and Gritty Mix in Greenville,...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™