Almost Canadian

pufftrinket(5MI)April 3, 2007

Hi-

I'm in Central Michigan- well, central LOWER PENINSULA Michigan.

I've enjoyed reading this forum because the climate seems similar to mine. I get jealous reading about all the USDA Zone 7 planting-out! Hee hee.

Just thought I'd let you know I have 38 containers. Most are the tin-foil cake pan variety, although a few are Jiffy flats. This is my first year wintersowing.

I'm very interested in natives and butterflies, so most of what I sow is of the wildflower variety. Many of my seeds are self-collected.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janet_grower

Hi Pufftrinket, welcome we don't mine if your not Canadian, I have 33 containers, didn't really want to mention before but I don't use the conventional 2 litre pop bottles either, I sowed mine in 6 or 8' pots and slipped them individually into a ziploc bag, like I do indoors. I figure if I keep a good eye on em, when they sprout I'll take em out of the bags and I'm done (until transplanting). I like the idea of no hardening off, God know's greedy little me will have my work cut out for me when I have to start bringing the 300 or so plants I have growing inside, outside. Oh the joys of hardening off, with that many sometimes as I finally get em all out, the first ones start to pout and wilt, back in they go. Seems for those couple of weeks I am regretting being so greedy with the seed sowing. And then next year I do it again, Janet

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 11:25AM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Hi and welcome. yes in MI you would have pretty similar climate. I too grow a lot of natives and wildflowers. Southern Ontario would share quite a few similar species with southern MI. Have you grown any milkweeds for the butterflies? I'm growing 1 native variety and one non-native. Tuberosa (native) and Curassavica (non-native, tropical).

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 11:11PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Welcome to the CWS forum!

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 9:14PM
pufftrinket(5MI)

Hi-

Yes, I have a few packets of A tuberosa- I just got them today. Planning to put them out tomorrow or next weekend.

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
winter sowing lilac seed
I have a lilac bush that I bought three years ago....
loves_lavendar
Question about WSing vegetables
Hello northerners: I am in Ontario Zone 5A and have...
northerner_on
Peony anyone?
Has anyone ever winter sowed peony seeds? This year...
marricgardens
Any newbies? (or 'oldies')
I realize that there is very little activity on this...
greylady_gardener
New to Winter Sowing but 55 containers
HI, All!! I think I have made newbie mistakes!! I work...
Hailey99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™