New to Winter Sowing but 55 containers

Hailey99April 1, 2013

HI, All!! I think I have made newbie mistakes!!
I work in an operating room and have found the perfect (free and happy to be re used) sterile water bottles, as well as some joint replacement plastic boxes that just screamed âÂÂI am perfect mini greenhousesâ I saved (and friends saved) bottles by the dozens.. Now I have sown some different things, lettuce, peppers, Chinese lanterns seedsâ¦..cosmos, poppies â¦perennial bulbsâ¦. But I cannot find that many resources for things like hibiscus and clematis seeds, I have tons of common seeds but I live in Ontario and not sure where to get othersâ¦Also I usually buy Tomato and pepper plants because of our shorter growing seasonâ¦.I also started some of these plants inside â¦can I transplant the cucumber plants and the tomato plants to my winter sowing containers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

Hi Hailey99, welcome to winter sowing. :-)
you too have plunged in full speed.
I start my tomatoes and peppers inside....tomatoes will wintersow, but they produce very late....unless you have early producers. Once something has been started inside, they can only be planted out when the weather has warmed enough to plant them in the garden.

I have some different hardy hibiscus seeds if you are interested....email me and send me your address privately and I will send you some.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:37PM
Hailey99

Thank you for your reply!!
I will keep my tomatoes inside until May!!
Thanks for saving my plants!!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:03PM
livelydirt(Zn 4, Lively, ON)

Greylady, what's in the bottles?

This is my first time on this particular forum. By Winter Sowing, do you mean starting plants indoors, or by sowing the crop outside in late fall for early spring germination?

Careful with the Chinese Lanterns unless you want them ALLLLL over the place. Took me five years to eradicate them. The roots easily travel 10' + in a year.

Cleamtis seeds are often available on Seedy Saturday and sometimes local Hort society members can provide you with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:49AM
greylady_gardener

Hello, 'LivelyDirt' glad you stopped by.
The bottles in the snow belong to the original poster. Maybe she will stop by and let us know what she has planted. :-)

below is a link that will let you know what we are all about. We use containers as mini greenhouses and put our seeds out in the middle of winter (depending on what seeds they are)--perennials, trees etc. go out early--usually in December, then perennials, and hardy annuals. When the weather starts to change in the spring, like now, the tender annuals go out. If you go and take a look at the winterswon.org. site, it explains far better than I can. :-)
I truly love this method! :-) it does the job for me. I would love a greenhouse but funds and space have prevented that from happening.

I hope you enjoy your tour of the site and join in!

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing info

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:20AM
Hailey99

Thanks for the tip where to get more seeds,!!!
The list I planted is mentioned in the first post, just veggies,as well as some mallow seeds, meadow rue, and black eyed Susan's

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Have 2013 seeds
I have extra seeds purchased in spring 2013. I have...
Gwen Zn3A
Favourite Suppliers?
Hello All! I'm completely new to winter sowing. I can't...
redwolfdoc_z5
w/s for 2014
I haven't done any w/s for a few years but am going...
marricgardens
Has anyone wintersown apples?
Heyo all - I'm looking at growing rootstock from seedlings...
FoothillsOrchard
winter sowing lilac seed
I have a lilac bush that I bought three years ago....
loves_lavendar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™