Growing Marrowfat Beans

LoboGothic(6b SW Ontario CANADA)October 15, 2012

Hello,

Anyone have any tricks or tips for growing Marrowfat beans? I've tried repeatedly and results have been ho hum. Are they a low yielding variety?

Germination not the best either, sure would like to have some success with these delicious beans. Any experience out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eircsmith

Thanks for thread. I am also excited to know tricks and tips of growing Marrowfat beans.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 4:15AM
braeburn040(2B/3 BC)

I've gardened for years and have grown many varieties of beans but "Marrowfat" is one I've never heard of. Where do you buy them? Are they a shell bean or green bean?

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:48PM
LoboGothic(6b SW Ontario CANADA)

Braeburn, I see that you are a brand new member and that you garden in a cool climate. Welcome to this forum, it's an excellent resource.

Marrowfat Dry Bean described by Vermont Bean Company - "This heirloom variety is a navy bean that is much larger, egg shaped and much better for baking than most other navy beans. The plant habit is half runner and the flat inedible pods each have 5 to 6 beans per pod."

My seed came from Hope Seeds quite a while back - here's what they say:

"Hope Seeds & Perennials (HSP) is based in the well-kept secret of Knowlesville, NB. Many of their seeds have been traced back to seed catalogues from the late 1800âÂÂs. Their seeds are all open-pollinated and they encourage you to save seeds for next year and share with friends.

The Marrowfat Bean is an heirloom bean originating in the 18th century, but perhaps earlier. This particular strain has been grown and maintained by the Gilmore family of Keswick Ridge, NB for many years. Plants yield lots of flattened green pods that are sweet and tender when young. Pods eventually produce large, white rounded seeds which can be used as a dried bean."

I see that Hope Seeds has them still. The cooked beans have a creamy texture which makes them good for puree, bean dips, soups, etc. I've simply had no real success with them but want to keep trying. Maybe I should check with Hope Seeds and see if they have any suggestions.

Good gardening, Frances

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 1:32PM
braeburn040(2B/3 BC)

Thank you for the information Frances I don't think I could grow them. I have to cover my beans outside or grow them in my green house. They sound like they would take quite a few days til maturity. I have real good success with Pole beans in my greenhouse.
Chic

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
Best Nurseries to order from?
This is a dangerous time of year...still snow everywhere...
hmacgarden
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
Sponsored Products
Liberty Furniture Sunset Boulevard Night Stand in Coffee Bean Finish
Beyond Stores
Gold Medal Jumbo Leather-like Vinyl Round Bean Bag Chair
Overstock.com
Webb Coffee Table - Coffee Bean Coffee Bean
Joybird Furniture
Berber Runner:a Dark Robin s Egg Blue 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Hamilton Beach 80350 Coffee Grinder
Overstock.com