Hedychium 'Tahitian Flame'- keeping indoors for winter

rcharles_gw(8a.)October 12, 2009

We purchased a Tahitian Flame ginger plant this spring and we are going to keep it indoors as it is Z9. Has anyone kept one of these indoors? I would imagine that they would like humidity and not too dry conditions?

We had a Hedychium 'Tara' last year and it bloomed beautifully in Aug/Sept, but I left it outside (in a pot)

not a good idea. I know that they are one of the hardiest forms and probably would have made it, if left in the ground and mulched. 'Tara' although beautiful, does not have a fragrance, so replaced with one that does (Tahitian Flame).

Any info. would be appreciated.

Going to try some Gloriosa Lily this spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I am not totally sure how to overwinter, but I am in the same boat as you as I recently acquired hedychium 'dr moy'. From what I understand, outdoors they appreciate lots of light, water and high humidity. Of course this is impossible to duplicate indoors and you probably don't want to over water anyway, with the reduced light of indoors (and shorter winter daylight) meaning the plant might slow down in growth and too much water could lead to rot.

I have a lack of window space in my home, but mine is on an east windowsill where it will get a few hours of sun.

Good luck, hope yours/mine overwinters. They seem like great tropical-look plants.

Glen

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™