Worth the Wait

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)May 13, 2007

I complained last week that I had several 'no-shows' but we have had a week of very warm weather and almost everything came through. The only no-shows now are the Astilbe and I am still hoping for them, and the Canna which are consistently late. There were some of which I had only one seedling, and now others are popping up. I am so excited. Even my Euphorbia which I have tried to direct sow like my neighbour who gave me the seeds for two years, were successful when WS'd. Who'd have thunk it!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xtreme_gardener(1b)

Thats Great, Northerner!
I'm also finding that a good dose of heat and sun is helping with the sprouting. I had a few more 'stubborns' pop up with about three days of decent warmth. I didn't label well enough though, so I'm not sure what some of them are. For the last three weeks we've had so much wind that even though the sun is out it's still quite cool, but all it took was a few days.

I WS'd some Euphorbia (kilamanjaro) in April and it really pulled through on those warm days. Its cool and rainy (aaak s***y, too) so I'm hoping one more warm spell after this will bring the Rudbeckias and Trollius (fingers crossed).

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 12:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Cannas and tropicals are not good candidates for our zone. I'd sow those ones indoors.

Sharon

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Crazy Ontario Weather
Hi everyone: If you're like me, you are totally frustrated...
northerner_on
Any newbies? (or 'oldies')
I realize that there is very little activity on this...
greylady_gardener
Sprouts in Zone 5
I went out to have a look at my pop bottles yesterday...
northerner_on
w/s for 2014
I haven't done any w/s for a few years but am going...
marricgardens
New echinacea Cheyenne Spirit
We just received our William Dam Seeds catalogue, and...
ontnative
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™