Giant Swallowtail!!!!

BERGER123(4b-5a)August 20, 2014

I saw a giant swallowtail oddly. It went to the purple coneflower but never landed. It didn't find any if my host plant if it was a female. What is a really good nectar plant to attract it back?
Jacob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

Wow--they are really traveling north this year! The one that visited my yard loved zinnias and Swamp Milkweed.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:07AM
Leafhead

I've had several pass through my garden this year here in Southern Wisconsin (Dane County). I went to my Mah Jongg group last Friday and counted seven-along with five Tiger Swallowtails! What a beautiful sight!!! I saw three more on the way there that day. There must be some Prickly Ash growing in that neighborhood (NW Middleton, Dane County). I know it's an invasive weed here, but I wouldn't mind having a moderate sized bush.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:51AM
NJArmyWife(6b)

I had a Giant Swallowtail visit today. Have not seen one in years.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 10:43AM
BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
I didn't see it today but I'm not giving up hope. I wish I had found my rue cause it tested the purple cornflowers. After I post the message.
Jacob

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 5:16PM
socabeth(z9CA)

They like citrus trees! I usually see one everyday floating through the citrus trees -but how do you ever get a picture? They are so huge and beautiful but either never stop or they hide in the citrus tree! They haven't discover the fennel, dill, parsley, or rue I have planted for them :(

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 10:00AM
coolbutterfly(5A)

Jacob,

we have had them in our Minnesota garden the past 5 years....no eggs yet though. We have prickly ash and rue for host plants.

For nectar flowers they like zinnias, tropical milkweed, lantana, and butterfly bush. I don't think I've seen them on our native plants before...

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 4:35PM
biologyteacher60

Mine have been visiting my Tithonia for nectar.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 5:27PM
alex928 Z8/LA

Giants don't eat parsley or dill, do they? I know they eat rue and citrus, but I don't know about anything else.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 5:34PM
caterwallin

No, Giant Swallowtails don't eat parsley, fennel, or dill, but the Black Swallowtails do. Both the Giant Swallowtails and Black Swallowtails eat rue (Ruta graveolens). Giant Swallowtails also eat other plants besides rue like orange trees (and other citrus), Prickly Ash, Wafer Ash, and Gas Plant (Dictamnus).

Check out the Gardenweb FAQ page that lists butterflies and their host plants. The link is included in this post.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Caterpillar Host Plants

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 6:51PM
angelimperfect36(9)

amazing picture of the garden, do you throw bunch of seeds into one big garden or what? it seems like a mixture of all different kinds of flowers.. so pretty!

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™