sweet potato vine

yugoslavaOctober 6, 2009

My neighbor, who's Asian, shares with me her vegetables and flowers. She showed me some foliage of which she had a lot and when I inquired she showed me sweet potato. She also told me when the vine starts to grow one can pinch a tip several inches in length, plant it and start another plant. I'm interested if the leaves are edible. Sweet potato vine is grown as an ornamental. Until she told me I never knew it was edible. Please enlighten me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

I'm always cautious about these things amd so to be on teh safe side, I'd rather not eat these things unless it's promoted as edible.

I know as a child we grew the real sweet potatos (not the ornamental kind) and we would steam the leaves and use it for salads. The colours of those leaves were dark green and sometimes purple. They looked very different from the ones I've seen here. I don't really know much about the hybridized potato and perhaps to be on the safe side, contact the source of these plants to see if it's true.

As for pinch growing tips of the vine.. The answer is yes. I do it often. In fact, many tropical plants are started through cuttings.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Best Nurseries to order from?
This is a dangerous time of year...still snow everywhere...
hmacgarden
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™