Has anyone wintersown apples?

FoothillsOrchard(2a)August 22, 2013

Heyo all -

I'm looking at growing rootstock from seedlings - have some malus Dolgo, Ranetka, and Baccata that I want to plant as the basic rootstocks for my little orchard in the inhospitable foothills of Alberta. Wondering if anyone has any experience with wintersowing apples? Also, any climate-specific tips for wintersowing in the Calgary/Millarville corridor would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geosankie(5a NEPA)

I just came across your note and , Yes, I have winter sown apples just for fun and maybe as some rootstock. It works very well as I sowed 8 seeds last winter and now have 8 little apple trees about 2 feet tall. I'll probably graft to 6 of them and let the other 2 mature in an out of the way spot just to see what I get. I used milk jugs and a sterile potting mix and no fert until a few true leaves showed up ( weak MG ).

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 10:54AM
FoothillsOrchard(2a)

Thanks for the follow-up! I put some seeds out in 4 jugs last month... looking forward to see what comes of it.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 3:33PM
FoothillsOrchard(2a)

Well, 4 seeds survived out of a whole bunch sown. Ranetka & Dolgo (Baccata didn't take root at all). The little guys are about 6 inches tall and were transplanted from the milk jugs to larger pots. Hoping they'll survive the (too-fast) upcoming winter.

Bookmark   September 13, 2014 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Sprouts in Zone 3
I was shocked yesterday to find sprouts in several...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Any newbies? (or 'oldies')
I realize that there is very little activity on this...
greylady_gardener
Gaillardia
I winter sowed some Gaillardia and they did ok. Now...
brian_ouimet
Sprouts in Zone 5
I went out to have a look at my pop bottles yesterday...
northerner_on
"Is it too late" and other questions
I've been lurking on WS forums for years and haven't...
mamahoohoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™