pomegranate tree that won't fruit

bardosJune 28, 2006

I have several pomegranate trees, one of which does not ever set fruit, although it produces tons of blossoms. It's been like this for about 4 years now. I imagine it is just a tree that doesn't set fruit. I'm planning to whack it replace it this winter with another fruit tree. Is this correct, that I should give up on it as a non-fruiting variety or something? It's a tree my wife bought at a market and not a home transplant like the other pomegranates I have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Oh... it might be one of the decorative varieties... which I see no use for, why did they make them? I just replaced one that someone else planted...

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 11:12AM
skrip(z9/sun19/SoCal.)

Hmm, I bought a pomegranate 'wonderful' about 3 years ago and planted it. It has never fruited for me, but does flower beautifully. I was not aware that there were non-fruiting pomegranates though. Maybe this species is a bit different that your regular ones?

Im assuming mine will take about 5 years to begin fruiting.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 11:38AM
bardos

for sure it's a different species. Why do you assume 5 years and then fruit? do you know that this variety fruits like that?

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 12:27PM
skrip(z9/sun19/SoCal.)

Well, 'assume' is the word because I bought it quite small. And it had a hard time this winter (i thought it was dying). So 3 years so far and Its getting taller, so I assume in another 2 it should kick in. Just a personal guess, not a scientific fact.

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 2:54PM
kerrican2001(z9b CA)

Hm, from reading posts here over the years, it seems people either have a really easy time or a really hard time with pomegranates. We basically stuck one into the ground from a 15 gallon container a few years ago, and we've been getting gigantic fruit every year since, and we don't do anything to it. It's totally neglected and thrives on neglect and minimal water. Not sure why, but we seem to be lucky. Ours are bigger than any I see in the stores.

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 7:29PM
oscarm

i have 2 trees in my backyard and both produced fruit the first year, since then (now 2 years) only one tree has produced. the other one even changes and drops leaves much later than the one that produces friut. any ideas on how I can get both to produce?

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 9:34PM
ruby138(9/10)

How much sun does your tree get?

My two "Wonderful" pomegranate trees get no fruit. They are in a shaded area, so I have just assumed it's lack of sun.I like the foliage a lot, so I don't mind. (I also don't know if this variety requires "cross pollination" with at least one other pomegranate tree.)

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 8:53PM
pansysoup(CA 9/10)

"Wonderful" is strictly ornamental, and the double flowered variety definitely deserves space in a garden!

Usually pomegranates do take a long time to decide to "put out". Also I'm guessing that if you're feeding them, especially a high nitrogen fertilizer, it's all going into leaves. Let 'em starve and they'll fruit, as with tomatoes. I believe pomegranates are native to the middle east and are designed for a pretty meagre diet.

Good luck. And don't feel obliged to keep it just because it's there. Something luscious could be growing in its space.

Bookmark   November 19, 2006 at 4:30AM
Heathen1(10a)

Pansy... wonderful is not just ornamental.... California Rare Fruit Growers http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html say it's a fruit producer... and if you google it, there are many pictures of it's edible fruit.

Bookmark   November 19, 2006 at 11:36AM
pansysoup(CA 9/10)

You mean I can eat that little light bulb looking thing?

Cool!

Bookmark   November 19, 2006 at 8:52PM
joereal(Ca z9/SS z14)

And here's the best way to eat pomegranates without colorizing yourself all over.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Peel Pomegranates

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 3:50PM
skrip(z9/sun19/SoCal.)

hahaha, after so many years of being scared of the pomegranate 'mess', that link actually makes sense and I will eat them that way from now on. I remember my mom telling me not to get it on my clothes or the carpet 'cause it will not come off! I used to use a bowl and lean over it every time i bit all the seeds. Now with kids, I've never bought them due to the fear. Hopefully next year I will get my first crop, even if its a couple.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 1:01PM
joamathews_gmail_com

we had a couple of very cold weeks in NM last winter. A lot of plants that never freeze were lost. My wonderful pomegranate is slowly growing at the base. Should I prune it back or not. It is now june and very hot.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™