Wannabe denizen of the Pineapple Express

den_vic(BC Canada Z8b)November 20, 2009

So it's cool, wet & the long Canadian winter nights are setting in. So it's winter mode but my now huge Romneya coulteri has flowered this Nov even if a blue sky is short-lived. I had to raise the camera overhead as the plant is taller than I am. But this new flower looked very fresh.

It is native (sun-loving) to California but for some reason this plant is still growing. Pups have appeared away from the plant in October. So it's not about temps but moisture. I expect it to go into dormancy before the winter solstice. The plant is called California Tree Poppy and is considered hard to move or to transplant. Let's just say that it needs room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Matalija Poppy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Ahhh, the California Tree Poppy, my mom had one in her garden when I was very young, I thought the flowers looked like big poached eggs, it had a really nice fragrance too.
Not easy to find in my neck of the woods, I've been looking. Do you know of a nursery here on the island that is carrying them? I've tried them from seed with no success, I think in California they sprout after wild fires, something about heat helping the seed germinate.

Annette

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 12:48AM
den_vic(BC Canada Z8b)

Hello Annette

I bought mine at Elk Lake. They warned me that it's not easy to transplant and they were right. After the major cold spell last winter it started growing before the calendar spring. So it is very tough once established. I can see why they call it a Tree Poppy down in California.

Elk Lake Garden Centre Contact:(250) 658-8812
Address: 5450 Patricia Bay Hwy Saanich, BC , V8Y1T1

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 1:20AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Thanks Den, I will check out Elk Lake in the Spring. I've picked up some neat things there in past years.

Annette

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 4:55AM
More Discussions
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Raspberry Transplanting
Hi All, We transplanted raspberries yesterday into...
CassidyResort
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™