A flying visitor to my garden

deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)June 8, 2011

This red guy dropped in and ain't he neat?

Here he does some push-ups before taking off. Keep your eyes open...no telling what you'll see.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

beautiful! do you have a pond?

a big red guy shows up every year to take over the job of Supreme Commander of my biggest pond. he will let the little blue damselflies hang around but no way can another dragonfly come near without an instant fight. he is on guard every minute- i don't ever see him eat. min

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 12:47PM
loribee2(CA 9)

There's a big pond at my office and we get these guys. They're fun to watch. If I'm not mistaken, I think we get greenish/blue ones too. Are they dragon flies?

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 1:39PM
lunita(9)

I don't have a pond anywhere, but dragonflies perch on the tops of my tomato cages during the hottest part of the summer. I think the young must grow up in the local creek?? They've just shown up here and there so far, but in July it seems like you can always find at least one in my garden. They're hunters, so I think they're probably helping with insect control, including eating mosquitos (though they're indiscriminate, so they could be getting bees too).

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 9:20AM
calistoga_al

One of our now gone cats was very good at catching dragonflies which he claimed were delicious and he only left the wings. Al

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:11AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Heh heh- Al! Yummy dragonflies. The big green and blue ones are also dragonflies. We used to get one that would perch on the antennae of my mom's '59 Olds 98. Every year. Genetic memory?

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 2:09AM
elladog(z10, SoCalif, Sunset 22)

That looks like the dragonfly called a Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata. They like to perch on the tops of upright sticks. In my yard they perch on the 1/4" diameter flower supports.

And yes, dragonflies eat gnats, flies, mosquitos, ants, termites, and bees. The young aquatic nymphs eat mosquito larvae. So they're not only pretty, but helpful to have around.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™