Viburnums, Rhododendron, Hygrangea

JoonBJune 9, 2011

I have to do some foundation planting under the eave of my house. The area faces northeast.

Can you tell me the pros and cons of these bushes- or perhaps offer me a suggestion of something else that is a good foundation planting offering some flower interest?

Would these bushes also do ok in a west location or is it too hot (ie too much water requirment?)

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoonB

Also, can you tell me which varieties based on your experience would work? I prefer more purples or whites- no pink.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 11:28AM
Dick_Sonia(Sunset 17)

Those are perfect choices...for Seattle. If you're in Zone 23, you should be thinking more along the lines of plants that are naturally adapted to Mediterranean, desert, or dry subtropical conditions. There are thousands of plants from Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and the Canary Islands that would be suitable. Forget about the northern stuff. You have far more exciting possibilities awaiting you.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 11:58AM
JoonB

Can you give me suggestions so I can look them up? thanks!

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 1:54PM
loribee2(CA 9)

I'd be interested in that too.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 5:54PM
annemarieo

I also could use some ideas on foundation plants for sun to filtered shade. I can suggest though you check out native plants. There is a forum here I believe and Sunset has a section of natives in their book.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 12:53PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I had mirror plant (Coprosma repens) in So. Cal. with it's incrediblely glossy green leaves. Had a Viburnum (don't remember which one) with leatherly leaves that unfortunately was susceptible to spider mite. In hot sun Murraya paniculata always looked good. Natal plums (Carex) are attractive (thorns). Escallonia - shorter hybrids. Grewia. Hebe 'Pattys Purple'. Nandina (looks like bamboo).

In shade I used camellias with azaelas - did great. Loropetalum needs a bit of sun protection down south.

The local Home Depot will carry what does well in your zone - perhaps some hydrangeas are bred for So. Calif.?

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 5:54PM
calistoga_al

Bob Perry wrote a book well suited to your area. It is "Landscape Plants for Western Regions". Your library may have it. He is a professor with California State Polytechnic University Pomona. Al

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 8:36PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I like my Springtime Viburnums. I have some facing east, don't know how they would like facing west with no shade.
Renee

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 3:16AM
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

I have had good luck with Dichroa febrifuga, false hydrangea, evergreen hydrangea, in the same situation. -Here is a post by someone growing it in zone 23.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 1:04PM
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

P.S. by same situation, I meant foundation planting/northeast exposure.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™