What are you doing in Ontario?

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)October 29, 2007

Hello there,

I haven't been on in a while because of personal family problems, but everyone is well again and it seems no one is doing anything. I got out today because tonight we expect our first hard frost. It's exceptional that today I still have Canna's, Lychnis Coronaria, Salvia (midnight and Texas Red), Helenium and Toad Lilly still in bloom. My hollyhock has also rewarded me with a second bloom. Today I tried something new (for me )- chipped some leaves with the mower to use the top layer of mulch for my new bed. Looking forward to planting it up in Spring. So what are you all up to?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

Well as you can see by the post below, I am brand new to WS and SO looking forward to trying it for the first time this year. I am busy gathering lots of supplies and collecting and trading seeds. In the garden, I am trying to get all the last minute clean up done. Gathering up all the plants that need to come in and be stored/overwintered, and making room for all of them.

Bookmark   October 31, 2007 at 10:06PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Mostly, i've been cleaning up around the yard so that everything is put away before the snow falls. We had a bit of wind (understatement!) the other day, so there are things that blew around that need to be picked up now. I've been collecting boxes to put around my roses and raking leaves to fill the boxes. Some of the roses still have leaves. My geraniums have been inside for a week now and were in the mini-greenhouse for a few weeks before that. I've been trying to get more seeds collected too. One thing i haven't gotten around to doing is pulling dead annuals - tomorrow's job, maybe. :)

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 11:39PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Marcia, I've had some trouble with the wind too. Wanted to collect leaves for my new bed, and the wind was too strong. Finally got some together today, passed the mower over them and now they are the top layer of my new bed. I still have a few annuals to pull, but I need to cut back my perennials, and turn under my green vegies - can't believe my Swiss Chard is still producing.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 5:09AM

The deer took care of our swiss chard! :>

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 10:07PM
poppy88(5a)

I've been collecting coffee cups, barry containers and this past weekend I put some soil in them. The containers are ready and waiting for seeds. Since this is my first WS, I am waiting to see a few more post as to when to start.

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
When do I start lettuce or Boi Choy outdoor?
Is it too early to start lettuce now?
ada_pun
Favourite Suppliers?
Hello All! I'm completely new to winter sowing. I can't...
redwolfdoc_z5
Has anyone wintersown apples?
Heyo all - I'm looking at growing rootstock from seedlings...
FoothillsOrchard
Sprouts in Zone 3
I was shocked yesterday to find sprouts in several...
New to Winter Sowing but 55 containers
HI, All!! I think I have made newbie mistakes!! I work...
Hailey99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™