When does everyone start?

greylady_gardenerNovember 10, 2007

From what I can gather from reading all the info that I can, a good time to start is January but am also seeing that some say mid December. My plans are to start getting serious about it around mid to late January. Is this about right? When does everyone else start? Do you stagger the plantings? Do some seeds go out before others?Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

Lois

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Many people in warmer zones start planting on the winter solstice, kind of a celebration. When you start depends on your zone and the kind of seeds you have. Some need longer stratification than others so you would start with them. If we have mild weather, i start in late December or early January. Otherwise i wait for a milder spell to start. The bulk of my sowing is done during March break because i have the time then.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 11:59PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

There were some things I started last year at Winter Solstice because I was advised to (rose seeds), but I do the bulk of my sowing in February and March. Because we may be away during February this winter, I may start earlier and do all my seeds that need stratification in January. I will soon be direct sowing my poppies - I want to try this method this year to see how it turns out.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 6:43AM
greylady_gardener

Well that makes sense. I guess I can decide what I want to plant, find out the requirements for germination, then plant accordingly.
I would love to have my gardens organized and prepared for direct sowing, but I can never get myself to pull or cut back a plant that has any sign of green or flowers/buds, so I end up leaving them and having to do it in the spring.

thanks for the input. :)

Lois

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
WS and vacation, how late can I be away?
Hello, I plan to try WS this year but I'm also planning...
oloughma
Question about WSing vegetables
Hello northerners: I am in Ontario Zone 5A and have...
northerner_on
zinnias
Hi everyone. hope all your sowing is going well. I...
celtic_07
water bottles from water coolers
I was wondering if anybody has tried the new water...
josey44
Spring in Ontario
Well, it looks like spring has finally sprung in Ontario....
northerner_on
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™