Outdoor fire pit

jenn(SoCal 9/19)June 7, 2010

Not sure where to post this... it is garden-related... :-)

We're looking for an outdoor fire pit for a corner of our backyard, to sit and relax around a fire with friends and family.

Having NO experience with these, I'm wondering what type to look for, what to avoid, good brands, etc.

We plan to get chairs to put around it, unless we can find a good set at a good price. We're willing to pay a little extra for quality.

Thanks!

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2(CA 9)

Sorry, Jen. I have no experience either. Just one thing to consider. We have been thinking about getting one too, and when we do, it will probably be a propane-burning one as opposed to wood burning. Reason being air quality. On spare the air days, you could be prevented from using the wood burning version. I also like that the propane ones can be turned on and off when you want it. A friend has one and it's really nice. And you can roast all the smores and dogs you want over the flames just like wood.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 9:18AM
wanda(Z9 CA)

I vote for propane too, although I haven't had experience with a fire pit. I have a wood burning chiminea and one of those tall propane heaters like they use at restaurants, and although the fire is "homey", I more often opt to use the heater. It really warms the air, I can use it on no-burn days, the smoke of the fire can be annoying, and there's no muss or fuss. You simply turn it on and off.
Definitely something to consider.

wanda

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 12:44PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Ours is natural gas, built in. We used it once! LOL! I guess we'd rather sit in the jacuzzi!! It puts out a big flame, and it's windy here, so better safe than sorry!

Good luck finding the perfect answer!

Suzi

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 8:16PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you so much for your very helpful comments. This is why I research everything before buying, LOL. Never thought about wood vs. propane. We don't have "no burn" days here, but the smoke is something to think about anyway.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™