My first Monarchs progression!

Corgikarma(6)August 1, 2014

Here are some of the photos so far of the six eggs and two cats I found Wednesday. I am so excited!

This post was edited by Corgikarma on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 20:21

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Corgikarma(6)

Next picture

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:44PM
alex928 Z8/LA

Awww, they look so cute at that stage!

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:06PM
Corgikarma(6)

I do have a question, is tropical milkweed alright to feed them? I noticed there were no eggs on the tropical milkweed so I'm wondering if the cats will eat it.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 6:15PM
efeuer

I'm no expert, but yes, they do eat tropical milkweed. In fact, I think it is one of their favorites. I raised mine last year on tropical milkweed and they all did well.

If only I had some to raise this year. Sigh.
Liz

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 9:58PM
Corgikarma(6)

Unfortunately I lost a cat. This morning it was curled up on a leaf. I'm hoping this isn't a trend with the rest of these babies

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 1:22PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Corgikarma,
Unfortunately, spontaneous death of caterpillars is a very common part of this process. Sometimes a cause can be found, but sometimes not. I started with 13 eggs, which all hatched, but I'm down to 7 cats. I think several just wandered off, since my container was not air tight, and I never found dead cats. But, 4 I just found sitting still and turning dark/black and gooey. I have learned to touch or move them as little as possible. If a cat is sitting still of by itself on the wall of the container, leave it alone, but watch closely to see if it moves again, or if it is giving up.

Remember, 95% of eggs laid in the wild will succumb to disease or predation. So, if anyone manages to get even a single egg to develop into an adult butterfly, you've accomplished a miracle. Just make sure they have fresh leaves available always, and that you keep them in moderate temperatures and protected from direct sunshine. As the cats approach full growth, make sure they have an open area to attach to the top of the container and have room to hang and let their wings dry when they emerge from their chrysalis.

Martha

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:28PM
Corgikarma(6)

Thanks Martha. My surviving cat is growing fast. I still have no idea what happened to the other. Overnight he just curled up and died. All I see is a black dot on him. Eggs are looking about ready to hatch

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:47PM
Tony G(5a)

Martha and Korgikarma,

your success raising monarchs has a lot to do with your raising process. Once you have developed a good one, it is not common to lose a lot of caterpillars during the process.

Martha, check out some of the raising cages I have tried on the link below...they will prevent your tiny cats from escaping. Good luck, Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Is Your Caterpillar Cage Killing Your Monarch Butterflies?

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:15PM
Corgikarma(6)

Tony, any suggestions for beginners?

I ordered a butterfly cage and it should be arriving Tuesday. Right now they are in sterile mason jars covered with napkins with holes punched in them. I have a damp towel in the bottom for the milkweed. I change the towel and rinse the jar daily.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:50PM
Tony G(5a)

Hi again,

it sounds like you are set until your cage arrives. The pantyhose set up could also work around your mason jar if you secured them with a rubber band. You could actually just cut out a section large enough to fit over the opening of the jar. The added benefit to pantyhose is that they also trap humidity so the leaves stay fresh longer.

BTW, touching monarchs does not hurt them as long as you handle them gently....if it did, all of mine would be dead ;)

I wish you success in your raising adventures! Tony

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:33PM
Corgikarma(6)

Here are the cats now. I have one chrysalis and 9 cats in various instars. Thus far I have lost one cat while in the second instar and one seems to be unable to shed its skin and I have doubts about its survival.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:30PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

It looks like everything is set up perfectly.

Martha

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 6:52AM
Corgikarma(6)

Thanks Martha! I have five in the "J" formation and one in chrysalis. Three still munching away.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 11:57AM
spiritwild(6)

I lost a few as well this year. I'm thinking i may have contributed by not washing the bug spray off my hands.

I ended up with 5 of 9 or so.
so far so good on the remaining 5

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Conservation Network

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 7:55PM
Corgikarma(6)

The first to emerge from his chrysalis

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 7:32PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Fantastic! There's nothing more rewarding or beautiful.

Martha

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:33AM
Corgikarma(6)

Watching him fly away was such an amazing experience. Can't wait for the rest!

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:40AM
alex928 Z8/LA

He's gorgeous! It's so cool watching a butterfly that you raised yourself fly off. I want to raise some Monarchs someday, even if they do intimidate me a little. :)

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 5:29PM
Corgikarma(6)

Don't let them intimidate you! Or rather, don't let it stop you. I've been nervous through this whole process as this is my first time! I planted a ton of milkweed and had little faith that a monarch would even show. Low and behold I've had activity all summer! It is true, if you plant it they will come!

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:35PM
alex928 Z8/LA

Oh, I won't let it stop me! I guess it's the specter of OE that intimidates me, specifically. I'm not sure how I'd handle that. But on the other hand, Monarchs are kind of hard to resist. :)

Silly question...can milkweed be planted in pots, by any chance?

This post was edited by alex928 on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 20:20

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:19PM
Corgikarma(6)

I've read you can. When my fiance and I move into our apartment I plan to try it! As far as OE goes it worries me, too!

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
pls.help me ID these guys:-)
Hello! I am currently here in. Tampa, Florida, took...
hawaiiponder34
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
We need Monarch wings to help injured Monarchs!
We are looking for Monarch wings anyone has saved from...
KSOhio
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
Sponsored Products
Dakota Flushmount by Feiss
$168.00 | Lumens
Alpine Village My Octoberfest Debut Figurine
$6.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting Wall Mounted Cranbrook Collection Gilded Iron 1-light Wall
$59.97 | Home Depot
Samba Circle Rings Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
P3005-46: Arts and Crafts Weathered Bronze Six-Light Bath Fixture
$393.21 | Bellacor