w/s zip lock plastic bag ?

poppy88(5a)December 8, 2008

Good Morning everyone,

I hope you are well, it is very cold today and all I could think of is w/s.

I am a beginner to wintersown, I've tried last last year and in spring had about half of my seeds spout. One of the reason was because I didn't have enough containers so I was using things like berries containers, coffee cups. Anyway, I find myself again short of containers this year and I google on the net and found someone w/s with zip lock plastic bag. I am anxious to use these bags as containers.

I am wondering if you had success in w/s with zip lock plastic bag, if yes what size ? I was thinking of using the sandwich size bag. Can you share your sucess story ? do you zip all the way ? half ?

As for containers, I was also looking for any suggestions on what you used and had sucess.

Thankyou,

Poppy88

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clc70(8 Wa.)

Do you know someone who works for a nursing home, or in the kitchen of a school? If so, maybe they can save 1 gal. milk jugs for you. My nursing home uses 5-6 gal. of milk a day. Thats 35-42 jugs a week I'm bringing home.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 1:23AM
poppy88(5a)

Thank you clc70,

I was considering using zip lock bags because I live in CANADA, our milk doesn't comes in the galon container like yours do. In addition to that, I also don't drink any soda or soft drink.

I posted the same message in the wintersown forum, and I got a lot of good responds. I thank you for your time.

I asked family members, friends to save me any salad containers so I am hoping they will come in ....

happy gardening.

Poppy

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 9:02AM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Have you looked at Wintersown.org? I think Trudi has directions, complete with drawings on how to use zip-loc bags, or baggies as they call them in the U.S. Try this link:
http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Winter_Sowing_in_a_Baggie.html
Good luck!!
Northerner.

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 9:03AM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

I sow almost all my seeds in zip lock bags.
Exceptions include those with tap roots, or easy, fast germinators that I don't want to handle twice.
I seal the bags entirely, and then, from spring through fall, check once a week to see if there has been any germination. In winter, everything is in cold frames, under the snow.
I write germination information, seed source, name and date on the bag and on a plastic label inside the bag.
I use Glad Zip 'n Seal Medium freezer bags for almost everything, switching to large when I want larger numbers. I use Glad bags because they are the cheapest at my grocery store. I also reuse them, as possible.
Once I find the seeds germinated, I pour the seed and its germinating medium (peat moss, vermiculite or pearlite) onto a tray filled with growing mix, wait a few days, and voila. It is essential to check seed fairly often.
This method saves a lot of room, time, fussing around with various containers, seed and germinating mixture.

Bookmark   December 24, 2008 at 10:37AM
Gwyn(6A, Mississauga)

When I did WS 4-5 years ago, I did use ziplocks as well and had great success. Used the no name brand ziplocks from No Frills...

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 11:41AM
jay3fer(6a GTA ONT)

I used a variety of containers last year but found they were too shallow, plus a lot of lids blew off or cracked meaning it was hard to keep the trays moist once the heat and sun turned on in the spring.

SO this year I am trying baggies. I found 8 large-size freezer bags for $1 at Dollarama. I've filled them about 1/3 full of soil as per the instructions at wintersown.org, then sprinkled with seed and covered lightly if necessary.

I have also used the write-on portion on the outside of the bag to write the name of whatever's sown inside - handy!

My only question would be, come spring, what would happen if any of the baby plants had their leaves touching the plastic, because I would think that would cause problems.

Also, a drawback I can see already is that bags of soil, especially topped with delicate fragile seedlings, are not as easy to move around as pots. But I guess they take up much less space!

Anyway, I'd love to hear from other Canadians who have experience with this!

Here is a link that might be useful: My modest winter sowing 2009

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Wintersowing cannas???
Does anyone do wintersowing of Canna seeds ??? Since...
xaroline
New to Winter Sowing but 55 containers
HI, All!! I think I have made newbie mistakes!! I work...
Hailey99
water bottles from water coolers
I was wondering if anybody has tried the new water...
josey44
w/s for 2014
I haven't done any w/s for a few years but am going...
marricgardens
"Is it too late" and other questions
I've been lurking on WS forums for years and haven't...
mamahoohoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™