WS Tree Seeds

billybobc(4a)December 1, 2007

Hi,

I am a Newbie at WS. I planted my first flat of white cedar and Scots Pine seeds today and stuck them in my cold Greenhouse for the winter. Normally they require 60 days cold stratification before planting. As you can see my main interest is germinating tree seeds, especially those that benefit wildlife. I own a good size woodlot and I am constantly planting indiginous trees and shrubs.

Is there anyone with experience at WS tree seeds? I would really appreciate any tips or help. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharont(z5 can)

Watch carefully for germination February though March. If seeds in plastic bags, they may burn when temps increase.
Allow good ventilation and avoid drying out after germination. Transplant sprouts to pots of soilless mix. Stand in a tray and cover with a plastic lid.
Buy a fan for you greenhouse!
That's my tips. Goodluck.
I enjoy sprouting tree and shrub seeds also as I have enough land & lawns to place them in after a few years of acclimatization in increasing sized pots.

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 2:20PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

There is a Tree forum on the Garden Web. You may want to contact them for help. Good luck!!

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 2:39AM
prairie_gal_z2b(Sask, Canada)

The only thing I could think of is (I've read) that Scots Pine needs light to germinate, so make sure they're not planted too deep.
Good luck!
Koren

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Favourite Suppliers?
Hello All! I'm completely new to winter sowing. I can't...
redwolfdoc_z5
winter sowing lilac seed
I have a lilac bush that I bought three years ago....
loves_lavendar
Sprouts in Zone 3
I was shocked yesterday to find sprouts in several...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Peony anyone?
Has anyone ever winter sowed peony seeds? This year...
marricgardens
"Is it too late" and other questions
I've been lurking on WS forums for years and haven't...
mamahoohoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™