Willow Trees

CresphontesAugust 14, 2014

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody here new what the best willow tree species attracts the most variety of caterpillars for the West coast. I specifically want to attract Mourning cloaks and Western tiger swallowtails.

Thanks, Nicholas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Hi, last year I was looking for the same thing but was unable to find a specimen that would stay small enough. I know the swallowtail like the prunus family as well so I decided to forgo the willow and put the cherry in for them.

I look forward to seeing responses to this thread.

SCG

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 7:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dr.liz(7 NJ)

Can't help Nicholas, I'm afraid. But as for SouthCountryGuy, i'm wondering whether it would be possible for you to grow willows by coppicing-basically, cutting off a tree to induce a lot of shoot growth. That keeps all the growth at a low level where you can see it and use it, and makes a large tree manageable in a small space. There was just an article published in the NABA magazine, Butterfly Gardener, which mentioned the technique as a way to grow a large tree in a smaller urban garden.
Liz

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Cuttings!
I am moving house and have a lot of butterfly/HB plants...
kiffin87
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™