plant for dark bathroom

SheEatsFigsJune 29, 2013

I've been thinking to put a potted snake plant on the large bench in my shower. There's a window beside it (tho what light comes through is pale, off a shade garden). The bench is far enough from where the water hits that what water the plant gets would only be steam, aside from direct watering.

Will the snake plant do okay in these conditions? My bathroom isn't a black-out during the day, but it's definitely low light.

If not the snake plant, anyone have suggestions for an interesting/somewhat architectural plant I could use instead?

Thanks!

Jessie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

Is sounds as if it is quite dark in that location. It may work better to purchase two plants. Put one on the bench, and the other in a location with better growing conditions. Then switch the two plants every week or so. Snake plants have a fairly slow growth rate, and their upright foliage won't droop during the dark period. But they won't go into the decline that would happen if you left a single plant under insufficient-light conditions for too long.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 5:02PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I hear that ZZ plants are great in those conditions. Not as sculptural, though.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 5:23PM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

Gyr: excellent idea- I will be doing that!

Renee: what is a ZZ plant? Min

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 7:48PM
SheEatsFigs

Thanks to you both. I got a snake plant for our bedroom, which receives more moderate light, and a ZZ for the shower bench. Fingers crossed!

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 8:13PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I hope it does well for you. My sister in law has two in her dark living room, and they are growing well and look great. I had trouble with snake plant in a dark corner because it rotted from too much water and not enough circulation. I would be conservative with the water.
Renee

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 5:29PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I would do as Gyr_Falcon suggests, get two identical plants and switch them out regularly. I do this with a couple of mine and it works well.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 3:46AM
SheEatsFigs

Yes, I'll watch the water. I do need to remember to give the plants partial sun breaks, too. - Thanks all!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Does anyone know what this plant is?
I found it in Baja California. It had lovely pink trumpet...
pforrester
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
help identify this plant
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me identify...
nurseyj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™