Pipevine Swallowtails at last!
Rod Angeroth's Virginia Snakeroot paid off. On July 12 I found about 25 caterpillars on A. serpentaria -- the poor plant was practically stripped -- and two more each on other pipevines.
Pipevine Swallowtail Battus philenor caterpillar
They all came inside and got switched over to A. macrophylla (sorry little guys -- you really put the "macro" in "macrophylla").
We went on vacation on the 20th and I had to turn the whole herd loose ... but there were yet more tiny caterpillars on the macrophylla. Upon return 7/31, I found 5 caterpillars on the macrophylla, no doubt survivors from the small cats of the 20th. AND, there was lots of cat frass and leaf damage.
So very exciting! PVSs have been on my wish list for quite some time.
The original A. serpentaria is just starting to put leaves back on.