'Iron Maiden' Penstemon

marricgardensDecember 15, 2008

Has anyone ever grown this? I bought the seeds last year from Veseys. It's not what came up. The one that came up has cherry red with tububular flowers with a white throat. I emailed them and they said it was the same penstemon barbatus but it looks more like the penstemon hartwegii that I saw in the William Dam catalogue. The reason I didn't think it was the barbatus, was that the description said it had glaucous foiage. Mine didn't. I was just wondering if anyone else had grown it and gotten something completely different? Veseys did end up giving me a credit. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Hi Marg, I grow it and yes you can't really tell by in the photo but the leaves do have a blue tinge to it. No white throats.

I got the seeds from Veseys and winter sowed Feb 18/07.

Sharon

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 2:30PM
marricgardens

Hi Sharon. Thanks for the reply. Now I know for sure that mine is not the penstemon barbatus, there is no blue in the foliage at all. The main reason I wanted that one was because I thought it would be a good hummingbird plant. Now I'll just have to wait and see if mine will survive the winter since Dams has theirs listed as an annual. I wanted to collect seeds last year (it flowered nonstop) but it was just to wet. Thanks again. Marg

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 2:51PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Noticed Veseys says zone 4, hmmm, well I really wish these catalogues would include us zone 2 gardeners.

P. barbatus are very hardy here too.

Wonderful perennials for the hummers.

Sharon

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™