Nagami Kumquat - how much shade can it take?

jenn(SoCal 9/19)June 21, 2011

We have a dwarf Nagami Kumquat that's been in a pot for several years. I'd like to find a good spot in the ground so it can reach its full size for more fruit production (I love kumquats!).

We have a spot in our side yard that gets full sun in the warmer months (when the sun is high) and less direct sun when the sun is lower in the horizon (cooler months).

Monrovia.com rates this Kumquat for full or partial sun, but I want to be sure as I don't want to have to move it again.

Does anyone grow a Kumquat in less than full sun all year, with the most sun in summer only?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
borderbarb

My Kumquat [don't recall variety] has morning shade from avocados, late afternoon shade from Eucalyptus. To the North, the house cuts sun, to the South, a fence and cyprus trees filter/cut sun. This tree bears fruit nearly year round ...

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 6:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you, borderbarb. We've decided to put the Improved Meyer Lemon in that spot, and put the Kumquat on the south-east facing side of the house that gets more sun and reflected heat. The lemon is more tolerant of a little shade.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™