clematis choice?

marricgardensDecember 28, 2007

I have an 8' trellis I would like to plant clematis and roses on. I already have the roses, I bought and planted 4 John Davis Explorer roses, and now I need a few suggestions for a nice white, medium sized clematis. The trellis has a southern exposure and the roses are planted on that side. I would like to plant the clematis on the other side(northern exposure) where it will still get lots of sun. I think the white clematis and pink roses will look very nice together. I always amend our heavy clay soil with both compost and triple mix before we plant anything. Thanks for any suggestions. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharont(z5 can)

Clematis 'dutchess of edinburg'
Clematis candida
I'm presently trying to germinate these white flowering clematis seeds!

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 8:06PM
wmc1

A good strong clematis would be Guernsey Cream, Easy to grow cutting from too.

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 9:51PM
marricgardens

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sharont: I already have Duchess of Edinburgh on a gazebo DH made for me. It's on one side of the gazebo and Henryi is on the other. I'll have to check out clematis candida. Good luck with your seeds. Please let us know how they do.
wmc1: I checked out Guernsey Cream before but thought the flowers may be to big. (I'm fussy!) It is a beautful clematis though and I may have to add it to my collection anyway.
I was looking at Huldine clematis. Anybody grow it? Marg

Bookmark   December 30, 2007 at 8:52AM
glaswegian(5b, Ont)

This is for the clematis growers, is it worth growing them from seeds at all for immediate impact and bloom, or is it just better to buy the plant in the spring?

Am interested in sweet autumn clematis, dutchess of edinburgh, candida and jackmanii

thx

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 12:31PM
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

It's probably a smaller flower than what you're looking for, but there is a Clematis alpina 'Alba'. It has smallish alpine style flowers and I quite like it, but it's not to everyone's taste :-)

BP

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 12:49PM
robertak(4b ON)

As you can see, I live in zone 4 and grow Huldine quite successfully with some winter cover. I have two plants and really enjoy them. They have flowers for an extended time compared to other clematis that I have and the flowers are beautiful! I would definitely try one! Enjoy!

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 10:11AM
ferne

To glaswegian:

I think growing most Clematis from seed would be a long slow process (5 years maybe?). With some bought mature Clematis it can take a second year to get bloom. I bought three widely varying types two years ago as unusually small plants (4 inch pots I think,),,,from Safeway at $5 a piece. I am expecting these to take another year or two or maybe three to bloom. Clematis can be easy to grow if you get the conditions right. If you don't they die. Most will not take any heat or much dryness at the roots and yet they have to have sun on the plant itself. So you really have to do some research and be extra careful where you plant them or you can be wasting you time. The full size ones in good sized pots can be bought in the Pacific North West for $12 to $15 each. These usually bloom a bit the first or second year. Jacmani (deep purple) is the commonest and one of the hardiest. My Jacmani has bloomed more each year with no attention whatsoever except for cutting it off at the bottom in spring...It gave a pretty good second bloom last fall too...always gets comments from passers- by. Nelly Moser (soft pink) has a great reputation too for being covered with flowers. These are the large flowered types and maybe a bit fussier than some of the smaller types. Some of the smaller flowered types get to be very large plants though. They are a much varied group of plants so you will have to check that out too. There are a couple of excellent websites on the net specializing in Clematis. this should get you started.... http://www.clematis.com

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Has anyone given up on hostas?
I know they're a shade garden staple, and they look...
noplacelikehomeforsure
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™