Raised garden bed questions

la_newgardenerJune 2, 2010

We are making a large raised planter for vegetable garden. We built the planter with untreated fir wood. We want to keep this garden as organic as possible, couple of questions regarding this.

1. We want to stain the exterior to protect the wood from the rain/water damage. Is it OK to stain the interior?

2. Our planter bottom is built such a way that water drains nicely from the bottom. We want to use an interior liner on the sides to protect wood from the moisture. What is the best liner to use to prevent chemicals? Is rubberized sealer a good choice?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

I have not tried this yet, but had been thinking about it after I noticed the wood rotting in my fir raised bed. Why not try some of the weed barrier landscaping material? I might suggest tyvek, but don't know about what it might leach/gas off into your planter mix.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 2:34PM
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

Boiled linseed oil is the wood preservative of choice among organic gardeners. You can use it on the outside and the inside of planters.

Just curious: by "planter", do you mean a large square or rectangular "pot" (with sides AND bottom)?

A "raised garden bed" to most people means it has no "bottom" -- the soil just goes right down further into the ground.

Joe

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 3:41PM
la_newgardener

Joe, thanks for the tip. You are right, our garden bed has no bottom.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 3:51PM
calistoga_al

I find boiled linseed oil does not want to penetrate the wood very well and I thin it with Turpentine. I apply as many coats as needed until it will no longer be absorbed. Al

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 9:51AM
la_newgardener

I read that Turpentine is toxic. Is there any other organic oil/thinner which can be used to dilute boiled linseed oil?

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™