What are the best outdoor orchids for coastal Cal?

stanofhJune 16, 2013

Besides Cymbidiums or Masdevallia's,Epidendrons,..what can be expected to thrive? I have my eye on Dendrobium aggregatum/lindyei as a good z17 Sunset orchid. Maybe Laelia orchids..but I want exact names!. Too many if just you just tell me the family,I would like to know whats worth ordering or looking into at least.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

I find Dendrobium kingianum, bletilla (in ground or pots), Sobralia macrantha and Phaius tankervilliae all thrive without a fuss in my garden.

edit addition: Laelia anceps also thrived, although I don't have any at this time. I am sure there are other orchids, in addition to the noted Cymbidiums and epis, that I cannot think of right now.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 0:49

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:46AM

Brassavola nodosa (Lady of the Night) Although mine was a reluctant bloomer, it was a good grower outside.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:56AM
stanofh

Sobralia!..I had heard those did well. Thanks for bringing that up. And that Dendrobium sounds like a good one. What do you think of the yellow flowering D. aggregatum? I have Dendrobium 'Comet King' easy as pie-most of the time. Too wet is a no no.
Thanks..and if have more to list,I'm listening.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:27PM

I have never grown D. aggregatum, so I can't help there. The D. nobile-types grew fine outdoors, but the different watering schedule they needed to induce blooming became a problem when I traveled and family members took on the task. So I gave them away.
I have some other ones I grew outdoors, but I need to go through my photo files to refresh my memory on their names. I won't have access to that computer until I get home in 5-7 days.
The individual sobralia flowers only last 1-2 days, but on the larger plants the bloom period can cover weeks. That is fortunate, because they always seem to come into bloom when I vacation in July! I like the foliage on them, so don't mind their appearance during the non-bloom season.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™